The show

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Fri Jul 23 01:10:49 UTC 2004

>Growing up in a small town I can remember using the term the "show" when
>referring to a movie that you go to a theater to see.

This was common in my large city too ... or at least in my part of it ...
as I recall.

>Was this an old way of referring to the movies or the movie
>theater?  Anyone remember using this term?

It's still current AFAIK. Maybe not fashionable though. I said "movie[s]"
usually myself, and still do. But I presume that at least some of my
childhood peers who said "the show" for "the movie[s]" are still saying it.

Similarly, some refer to a stage play or a TV program as a "show". These
usages all seem ordinary to me.

-- Doug Wilson