The show

Beckymercuri at AOL.COM Beckymercuri at AOL.COM
Fri Jul 23 01:26:52 UTC 2004

In a message dated 7/22/2004 8:40:43 PM Eastern Standard Time,
tarheel at MOBILETEL.COM writes:

Growing  up in a small town I can remember using the term the "show" when  =
referring to a movie that you go to a theater to see. Example:  Are  you =
going to the show tonight? =20
Was this an old way of referring to  the movies or the movie theater?  =
Anyone remember using this  term?

I grew up in a small town in Western New York State (south of Buffalo). We
always used the term "show" when referencing a movie theater, and most people
in my home town still use the term. I would say it dates to at least  the
early 1950s. It was always "going to the show" even though the place we went  was
called the Joyland Theater.