The mouse

DURHAM Mercedes mercedes.durham at UNIFR.CH
Sun Jul 25 12:24:24 UTC 2004

My guess would be that the mouse comes from French - where the tooth fairy is called 'la petite souris'.

Mercedes Durham
English Linguistics
University of Fribourg
Switzerland

Date:    Fri, 23 Jul 2004 22:28:14 -0500
From:    Janis Vizier Nihart <tarheel at MOBILETEL.COM>
Subject: The mouse

I have a website of Cajun  and regional words.  I am trying to sort =
through some words and expressions that I thought were just used down =
here, but I would like to hear from others who may be familiar with the =
expressions and who may know the origin.  Here goes:

The mouse---Although this is no longer used, I was always told that a =
tooth mouse, not a tooth fairy, took my teeth and left money.