hoopers/hoopies

Beverly Flanigan flanigan at OHIOU.EDU
Fri Jun 11 22:21:43 UTC 2004

This reminds me of a request I got out of the blue a few weeks ago:  Some
office folks in northern Ohio were talking about "funny" terms for people,
and they came up with "hoopies."  So they looked up Ohio dialects on
Google, found my name, and called me up.  They said the term connotes
"dumb," and one of them (I heard them all talking in the background) said
he'd heard a similar term, "Oopy," which he thought was PA
Dutch/German.  Does anyone have any idea what these terms mean and where
they came from??  I told the guy at the other end I'd e-mail him if I found
out anything.  (He was with First Energy Corp., of all things!)