Laws made to be broken (1880)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu May 6 02:54:29 UTC 2004

LAWS WERE MADE TO BE BROKEN

LAWS WERE MADE TO BE BROKEN--411 Google hits, 239 Google Groups hits

   Perhaps some legal and quotations scholar knows this one.
   "Promises" and "hearts" pre-date "laws" or "rules."

(WWW.NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM)
Gazette Bulletin - 10/30/1937
...THE LAW An old cynicism "LAWS WERE MADE TO BE BROKEN" is no where more.....life. This Educational Campaign Is MADE Possible By the Following Public..
Williamsport, Pennsylvania   Saturday, October 30, 1937  377 k

Appleton Post Crescent - 8/28/1939
...the sacred tradition that LAWS WERE MADE TO BE BROKEN. 'Crime Mast Go' Has.....Stilp, county traffic officer who MADE the arrest, TOld the court Soils, a..
Appleton, Wisconsin   Monday, August 28, 1939  936 k

Mansfield News Journal - 8/28/1939
...the sacred tradition that LAWS WERE MADE TO BE BROKEN. If -Mr. Simon had.....of a heart attack. Mr. WhitsTOne. who MADE his home with Mr. and Mrs. B. J..
Mansfield, Ohio   Monday, August 28, 1939  864 k

Wellsboro Gazette - 12/18/1947
...individual, who feels that LAWS WERE MADE TO BE BROKEN, in existence.....relative TO our flsh and game LAWS that are not entirely clear TO all..
Wellsboro, Pennsylvania   Thursday, December 18, 1947  704 k

Clearfield Progress - 1/19/1917
...TO me. The old saying that RULES WERE MADE TO BE BROKEN is a proverb over.....of Clearfield county, sjubject TO the RULES governing the Republican party. P..
Clearfield, Pennsylvania   Friday, January 19, 1917  0 k

(AMERICAN PERIODICAL SERIES)
The Sportsman Tourist.; A Visit to Pitcairn's Island. In Three Parts--Part One.
A Journal of Outdoor Life, Travel, Nature Study, Shooting, Fishing, Yachting (1873-1930). May 16, 1903. Vol. VOL. LX, Iss. No. 20.; p. 382 (3 pages)
(Somewhere here--ed.)

(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
MR. BEECHER'S SECESSION.
New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: July 7, 1880. p. 4 (1 page):
   What Mr. BEECHER disbelieves is more obvious than what he believes.  He long ago rejected the doctrine of future punishment as taught in the Scriptures, and now he tramples under foot the doctrine that men have any need to do anything as the condition of their salvation.  Naturally, he holds that inasmuch as we are not to be punished for breaking the laws, GOD "made laws to be broken."  He probably believes that it is desirable that men should obey, for example, the laws which forbid adultery and bearing false witness; but if they do break them they need have no dread of future punishment, and can console themselves by reflecting that the laws were made to be broken.

(LITERATURE ONLINE)
 1. Reed, Joseph, 1723-1787 [Author Page]
Tom Jones (1769)  195Kb
TOM JONES, A COMIC OPERA: As it is Performed at the THEATRE-ROYAL IN COVENT-GARDEN.  194Kb [URL for this text]
Found 1 hit(s):
Main text  189Kb [URL for this text]
ACT I.  57Kb [URL for this text]
Scene  45Kb [URL for this text]
...pye-crust, And a promise were made to be broken. Honour, if...

   2. Jones, Joseph Stevens, 1811-1877 [Author Page]
Moll Pitcher; or, The Fortune Teller of Lynn (187-?)  217Kb
MOLL PITCHER; OR, THE FORTUNE TELLER OF LYNN. A Drama. IN FOUR ACTS. NOW FIRST PUBLISHED, WITH EDITORIAL REMARKS, SCENE AND PROPERTY PLOTS, ORIGINAL CASTS, COSTUMES. And all the Stage Business.  214Kb [URL for this text]
Found 2 hit(s):
Main text  200Kb [URL for this text]
ACT I.  75Kb [URL for this text]
SCENE 3.  32Kb [URL for this text]
...passion, in old hearts. Promises made to be broken are like...
ACT II.  59Kb [URL for this text]
Scene II.  35Kb [URL for this text]
...[Stage direction] Promises made to be broken should be...

   3. Wainwright, D. Wadsworth [Author Page]
Wheat and Chaff (1858)  238Kb
WHEAT AND CHAFF. A COMEDY IN FIVE ACTS.  236Kb [URL for this text]
Found 1 hit(s):
Main text  230Kb [URL for this text]
Act First.  53Kb [URL for this text]
SCENE FIRST.  22Kb [URL for this text]
...[Standardized name] Yes; like toys, made to be broken. What matters...

  1. Edgeworth, Maria, 1767-1849 [Author Page]
Ormond, A Tale (1817)  771Kb
Harrington, A Tale; and Ormond, A Tale. In Three Volumes. By Maria Edgeworth, Author of Comic Dramas ... &c.  769Kb [URL for this text]
Found 1 hit(s):
[VOL. I.]  420Kb [URL for this text]
CHAP. XV.  30Kb [URL for this text]
...to live wherever she pleases; but that's a lover's promise made to be broken, see Love's Calendar, or, if you prefer...

   2. Inchbald, Mrs., 1753-1821 [Author Page]
A Simple Story (1791)  682Kb
A Simple Story. In Four Volumes. By Mrs. Inchbald  681Kb [URL for this text]
Found 1 hit(s):
VOL. I.  184Kb [URL for this text]
CHAPTER V.  11Kb [URL for this text]
...of his oaths---but monastick vows, like those of marriage, were made to be broken---and surely when your guardian looks on you,...

   3. Oliphant, Mrs. (Margaret), 1828-1897 [Author Page]
Salem Chapel (1863)  1009Kb
Salem Chapel: Chronicles of Carlingford: In Two Volumes  1008Kb [URL for this text]
Found 1 hit(s):
VOL. I.  501Kb [URL for this text]
CHAPTER XX.  23Kb [URL for this text]
...would break his mother's heart---what did it matter? Hearts were made to be broken, trodden on, killed---so be it! Pale and...

   4. Paulding, James Kirke, 1778-1860 [Author Page]
The Dutchman's Fireside, Volume 2 (1831)  321Kb
The Dutchman's Fireside, Volume 2  318Kb [URL for this text]
Found 1 hit(s):
Main text  314Kb [URL for this text]
CHAPTER IV. A reigning Belle.  8Kb [URL for this text]
...she looked upon that affair as a mere country arrangement, made to be broken the first convenient opportunity. Engagements made in...

   5. Sedgwick, Catharine Maria, 1789-1867 [Author Page]
Tales and Sketches (1835)  628Kb
Tales and Sketches  625Kb [URL for this text]
Found 1 hit(s):
Main text  612Kb [URL for this text]
ST. CATHARINE'S EVE.  70Kb [URL for this text]
...there is no union of heart --- where vows are made to be broken." "This surely is most sinful --- but...

   6. Trollope, Anthony, 1815-1882 [Author Page]
Phineas Finn (1869)  1571Kb
Phineas Finn, the Irish Member. By Anthony Trollope. With Twenty Illustrations by J. E. Millais ... In Two Volumes  1569Kb [URL for this text]
Found 1 hit(s):
VOL. I.  781Kb [URL for this text]
CHAPTER XXX. MR. KENNEDY'S LUCK.  20Kb [URL for this text]
...as the surgeon said, his bones seemed to have been made to be broken and set again; and his bandages of...

MISC.:  THE USUAL TORTURE

   NYU BOBST LIBRARY:  Goerge Thompson tells me that this place will be hell this summer and the reference books will be even further away from these computers--if available at all.  Please pardon all errors.

   NO AIR, TEN HOURS A DAY:  For the past two days (since my return), people in my room at parking violations have noticed that the room has no air.  This was certainly a new one on me.  "There's no ventilation in here...The duct must be clogged.  You can see the dirt sticking out...It'll get worse during the summer...You can pass out in here...I don't know how you can stand it.  I've been here five minutes and I can feel it...You should tell someone."

   BIG APPLE:
(FACTIVA)
Your questions answered?
672 words
The Evening Chronicle, Newcastle
20
English
(c) 2004 The Newcastle Chronicle & Journal Ltd
(...)
WE also asked why New York is known as the Big Apple.

Regular visitor to the States, Michael Robertson, from Gateshead, wrote in to say that native New Yorkers NEVER refer to their beloved city as the Big Apple. He reckons the phrase was coined as late as the 1970s when businesses were crashing and tourism was at an all-time low.

He writes: "In response to the crisis, the authorities launched an expensive publicity drive to boost the city's image. At the time, New York state was America's biggest apple producer and New York apples were famous across the country.

"Those in charge of the campaign used the slogan New York City: The Big Apple to sell the place to middle America."

The Big Apple was apparently a bar on 42nd Street in New York which was used by jazz musicians in the 1920s.

When touring the States the musicians would bump into each other and arrange to meet up again in the Big Apple. Because of this, the name became synonymous with New York City.

Other people believe the Big Apple was a dance which first appeared in New York in the mid-1930s.

Some believe the nickname is derived from the city's large Spanish-speaking population. Years ago someone described Manhattan as one large city block - `una manzana grande.' Manzana is also Spanish for apple - geddit? Maybe not.

http://www.ecademy.com/node.php?id=21542
Can anyone help me on this one?

I have searched and searched, but am unable to find out why New York is called the Big Apple.
(...)
James
As I wasn't there, I bow to your superior knowledge...however I noticed this reference to the origin which seems to sum it up.
Why is New York called the "Big Apple"?

There is essentially no agreement on an answer to this question.
What one scholar will propose as authoritative, another will dismiss
entirely. Some trace the name to horse racing, others to NYC's past
prostitutes... Many explanations seem plausible and none seems certain.
Gerald Cohen
Professor of German and Russian
Editor, Comments on Etymology
University of Missouri-Rolla
(...)
One Google search later I find:
Meaning
Nickname for New York, USA.
Origin
Derived from the translation by jazz musicians of the manzana principal area as 'apple orchard'. Another explanation has it that jazz musician's slang for engagement was 'apple'. A date in New York was the 'big apple'.
(...)
Hi Suzie

Take a look at http://salwen.com/apple.html. It looks convincing?

Regards - Bob