[SPAM:##] Fwd: Reply From Troutman Sanders LLP

Jesse Sheidlower jester at PANIX.COM
Fri May 7 20:12:24 UTC 2004

On Fri, May 07, 2004 at 04:08:58PM -0400, Laurence Horn wrote:
> At 3:52 PM -0400 5/7/04, Bob Fitzke wrote:
> >I've received the same message and have no idea whoTroutmanSanders or
> >Jennifer are. And Arnold's query was labelled SPAM when I got it.
> >
> >Bob
>
> I had previously sent my copy to friends, with a cover note that this
> appeared to be a new kind of spam.  Thanks to Arnold and Jesse for
> unraveling the mystery.  I'm sorry if Troutman Sanders downsized
> Jennifer W. because she was spending too much time on ads-l mail, but
> I have to admit she must have been mostly a lurker, since I don't
> recall her either.

She's a former student of Ron Butters, who has given several
presentations at recent meetings of the ADS, focussing on
issues of language and the law. (She is also a lawyer, hence
the law-firm-like sound of her former employer.) The "SPAM"
label derived, I assume, from Arnold's or someone else's
spam-detection software, which will typically modify the
Subject: line of e-mail messages so it can be later filtered
out.

Jesse Sheidlower