good people

Alice Faber faber at HASKINS.YALE.EDU
Mon May 17 13:51:42 UTC 2004

Benjamin Barrett said:
>Does the expression "s/he is good people" have wide currency? I would like
>to use it in some new contexts, but have heard it only in Alaska.
>
>Also, does the plural (they're good people) work with the same meaning? or
>is there another form that is used?

I was introduced to both forms "s/he is good people" and "they're
good people" in the mid-70s when I moved to Texas for grad school. To
the extent that my memory of which classmates I first heard it from
is correct, I associated the expression with native Texans. FWIW.

Alice Faber                                             faber at haskins.yale.edu
Haskins Laboratories                                  tel: (203) 865-6163 x258
New Haven, CT 06511 USA                                     fax (203) 865-8963