Land and Sea (1976)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon May 17 14:34:26 UTC 2004

At 2:41 AM -0400 5/17/04, Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:
>LAND AND SEA
>
>LAND AND SEA + STEAK--2,720 Google hits, 28 Google Groups hits
>
>    On second thought, maybe I didn't do "land and sea" before.

Interesting, in view of various treatments of semantic constraints on
"freezes" or "irreversible binomials" (Malkiel, Cooper & Ross, etc.).
The standing generalization is fish-before-meat, as in the
afore-anteceded "surf and turf", "fin and feather", and of course
"neither fish nor fowl (nor good red herring)".  But here the meat
comes first.  On the other hand, the above pattern follows "one if by
land, two if by sea", "army and navy", and other non-food freezes
involving reference to land and to sea (cf. "World order", Cooper &
Ross 1975, in the CLS _Functionalism_ volume), so maybe it's just a
case of differently weighted tendencies.

larry