Antedating of "Pizzeria"

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Wed May 19 03:26:06 UTC 2004

>What about this one, submitted by Barry Popik in 1996?  Context too
>uncertain for a ca. 1911  or 1912 date?
>
>The 1911-12 Manhattan Directory lists a Verra Pizzeria grocer at 146
>Mulberry Street ....

I'm not sure that a proper name alone should qualify. If this listing by
itself provides evidence of the word "pizzeria" in English in 1911-12, then
I suppose that it also exemplifies an English word "verra" [or "vera"]?

The existence of an Italian or Neapolitan word "pizzeria" at that time is
not in question, AFAIK.

A similar objection can be raised against JTS's 1931 citation: if "A1
Progresso Pizzeria" is an example of an English (even borderline-English)
word "pizzeria" then it seems also to be an example of an English word
"progresso".

I fully grant the existence of the English word "pizzeria" today, and it
may be arguable that the English word existed in 1911 or earlier ... but I
don't think these names in isolation verify such existence.

Just my two lire worth.

-- Doug Wilson