Naked Shrimp (1984); Dancing Shrimp (1975)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon May 24 03:47:38 UTC 2004

   Thai food is great.  The "S & M" (shrimp and mussels), the "Thai Mee Up"--wonderful.
   But naked, dancing shrimp?
   Couldn't these shrimp dance with their clothes on?
   Neither "naked shrimp" nor "dancing shrimp" is in the OED (which has done "naked").  OED editors just don't love food.

NAKED SHRIMP

NAKED SHRIMP--211 Google hits, 10 Google Groups hits

   Most hits are for Thai recipes/restaurants.

(GOOGLE GROUPS)
From: Mendi (mendi at earthling.net)
Subject: Naked Shrimp
This is the only article in this thread
Newsgroups: alt.cooking-chien
Date: 2001-05-13 01:48:02 PST

Naked Shrimp
Makes 2 servings

Ingredients

12 Large Jumbo Shrimp
3 oz. Fresh Lemon Juice
3 oz. Fish Sauce
1 - 3 oz. Chili Hot Sauce(depending on your liking of spice)
2 oz. Fresh Spinach
1 Sliced Kafalir Lime Leaf
8-10 fresh Mint Leaves
Technique
In a hot wok, grill the Shrimp. When almost done add the Lime leaves, Mint
Leaves and Hot Sauce. Next, add the Fish sauce and Lemon juice. On a serving
plate, place the spinach. Place the Shrimp over the spinach. Garnish and
serve.

Favorite Thai Meat & Seafood Recipes from the Kitchen of Lawrence Wheeler

(GOOGLE GROUPS)
Re: Santa Monica/LA's best for $30
... Centinalia. I agree! I have never found the equal of their "Naked Shrimp"
salad in hundreds of other Thai restaurants. There's another ...
rec.food.restaurants - Nov 19, 1991 by Larry Hunter - View Thread (8 articles)

(GOOGLE)
Thai thai recipe spicy naked shrimp
Naked Shrimp. Makes 2 servings Ingredients. 12 Large Jumbo Shrimp;
3 oz. Fresh Lemon Juice; 3 oz. Fish Sauce; 1 - 3 oz. Chili Hot Sauce ...
bangkokcuisine.com/original/bangkok/nakedshrimp.htm - 3k - Cached - Similar pages

Nikibone.com - Thai Recipes - Naked Shrimp
Naked Shrimp 12 large jumbo shrimp 3 ounces fresh lemon juice 3 ounces fish sauce
1 3 ounce package chili hot sauce 2 ounces fresh spinach 1 sliced kaffir lime ...
www.nikibone.com/recipe/thai/nakedshrimp.html - 2k - Cached - Similar pages

singha naked shrimp salad thai style
Title: Singha Naked Shrimp Salad Thai Style Yield: 2 Ingredients 5 lg shrimp 1
tb fish sauce 1 tb lime juice 1 tb sliced onion 1 tb shredded carrots 1 tb ...
recipes.chef2chef.net/recipe-archive/35/191313.shtml - 9k - Cached - Similar pages

(GOOGLE)
http://www.shrimpnews.com/OceanGarden.html
Shrimp News: What about “Naked Shrimp”?  Where did that idea come from?

Antonio Diaz: We were playing around with the word “naked” with our advertising agency.  We thought of “the naked truth about shrimp”.  We talked about “naked cuisine” because of the simplicity of our recommended presentations.  And then someone came up with the idea of just plain “naked shrimp” and it fit, explaining exactly what we were trying to accomplish in a simple, catchy concept.  It doesn’t work that well in Spanish because there is no similar phrase to “naked truth” in Spanish, so the concept is more difficult to convey.  Camarón desnudo? just doesn’t sound right.  We’ll probably translate it into Spanish in a slightly different way.

(TRADEMARKS)
Typed Drawing
Word Mark NAKED SHRIMP
Goods and Services IC 029. US 046. G & S: Peeled and De-veined Shrimp Peeled and De-veined Shrimp with Tail-on Peeled and De-veined Shrimp in common recipes
Mark Drawing Code (1) TYPED DRAWING
Serial Number 78253040
Filing Date May 22, 2003
Current Filing Basis 1B
Original Filing Basis 1B
Owner (APPLICANT) R & R Resources, Inc. CORPORATION NEW JERSEY 3 South Arlene Drive West Long Branch NEW JERSEY 07764
Type of Mark TRADEMARK
Register PRINCIPAL
Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
   1. Thai, Spicy and Delicious
By FLORENCE FABRICANT. New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Jan 15, 1984. p. LI21 (1 page):
   Many of the appetizers are hotly peppered, glossed with the seasoning.  Start with the excellent dancing shrimp, made of marinated raw shrimp in lemon juice and seasoned with chili, onion and mint, or the similar naked shrimp, which started with lightly barbecued shrimp mixed with chili paste, lemon, mint and an abundant coriander.
(Review of Jai-Ya, a Thai restaurant in Elmhurst, Queens--ed.)

   2. Summer Exotica: Oriental Takeout; Exotica for Outdoor Meals in Summer: Oriental Takeout
By FLORENCE FABRICANT. New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Jul 24, 1985. p. C1 (2 pages)
Second page (C6):  At Jai-Ya, a Thai restaurant in Elmhurst, Queens, some dishes suitable for takeout picnics are...and "naked shrimp," made of marinated barbecued shrimp ($7.50 for five shrimp).

(FACTIVA)
SUNDAY DATEBOOK
DINING OUT
HAWAII RESTAURANT BLUES / Island Paradise Doesn't Dish Up Much Ambrosia
PATRICIA UNTERMAN
929 words
The San Francisco Chronicle
SUNDAY
18
(...)
Keo's trademarked "Bangkok Wings" couldn't hold a candle to the stuffed chicken wings prepared at Plearn in Berkeley. Keo's trademarked "Naked Shrimp," a warm shrimp salad with lime, chilies, Maui onions and mint only hinted at the splendors of the warm Thai salads at Siam Cuisine, also in Berkeley. A meal at Keo's costs about $25 per person. Service by a sharp, efficient young woman was anticipatory and flawless.

(FACTIVA)
WEEKEND PREVIEW
RESTAURANT REVIEW
RESTAURANT REVIEW: MORNINGSIDE THAI RESTAURANT
Staff
817 words
Houston Chronicle
2 STAR
8
(...)
Naked shrimp salad ($3.95) puts together quite a few babies from the bay with some lettuce strips under a mustard dressing for another little worthwhile adventure.

(FACTIVA)
SHOW
Bangkok Four, where looks can be deceiving
Anne Valdespino:The Register
647 words
The Orange County Register
EVENING
J32
(...)
Dinner started off with a bang. Naked shrimp was the most memorable dish we tried. Plump, lightly barbecued and served in a sour, fiery chili sauce, it was a real winner. Mee Krob was a good companion to the piquant shrimp. Crispy rice noodles and pieces of chicken and shrimp were sauteed in a sweet sauce and served on a bed of bean sprouts.

DANCING SHRIMP

DANCING SHRIMP--1,770 Google hits, 221 Google Groups hits

   More "dancing" than "naked."  The hits are usually Japanese here.

(GOOGLE GROUPS)
[M] Good to have a backup heater
... This morning I was feeding the critters in my tank (3 hippo tangs, 1 percula, 1 cowfish,
1 sailfin blenny, 1 strawberry crab, 1 dancing shrimp, 2 cleaner shrimp ...
rec.aquaria - Feb 17, 1993 by Sylvia Budak - View Thread (7 articles)

(M) Disappearing Shrimp problem
... Is it possible the Dancing shrimp got it ? (I use the term Dancing as
that is what my book calls it, but the store called it "Camel"). ...
rec.aquaria - Jan 2, 1992 by Bruce Clarke - View Thread (2 articles)

Re: Ordinary Life in the 21st Century
... ha ha. Been there. Did that. Sushi fans will probably be aware of
"ami-ebi", also know as "dancing shrimp". Basically, the sushi ...
alt.cyberpunk - Jan 21, 1991 by "Lefty" - View Thread (123 articles)

(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
Food; Natural wonder Natural wonder/cont. from page 82
By Craig Claiborne with Pierre Franey. New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Apr 6, 1975. p. 251 (2 pages)
Second page (Pg. 84):  _Shrimp for sushi_
   Although raw shrimp are a great delicacy in Japan, they are not recommended to be served as sushi in this country unless  they are purchased live and out of pure waters.  The vast majority of shrimp sold in America have been frozen.  In Japan the  shrimp are known as odori, or dancing shrimp, because of their jumping motions just before they are prepared for sushi.  The raw tails are shelled and butterflied and eaten.  The upper carcass is liberally salted, grilled over charcoal and eaten hot.

   500,000 Choices: Eating Your Way Around Tokyo; 500,000 Restaurant Choices: Eating Your Way Around Tokyo
By RICHARD HALLORAN. New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Jun 7, 1981. p. XX1 (3 pages)
Second page (Pg. 18):  Try the dancing shrimp, which has been gutted only seconds before you eat it.  It wiggles as it goes down, thus the name.  It is, as a friend once said, the freshest seafood you will ever eat.

   Thai, Spicy and Delicious
By FLORENCE FABRICANT. New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Jan 15, 1984. p. LI21 (1 page)
(See above for "naked shrimp"--ed.)

Restaurants; Many choices: Boisterous or intimate, snacks or indulgence.
Ruth Reichl. New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Mar 28, 1997. p. C28 (1 page):
   Consider, for example, the dancing shrimp, the restaurant's signature dish.  A dozen shrimp arrive jiggling on the ends of skewers stuck into the top of a pineapple.  Half have been dipped in a slightly spicy Cajun marinade and grilled, the other half wrapped in filaments of phyllo and fried so that they have a flat and furry look.  The grilled shrimp are good, but the fried ones are more fun to watch than to eat.

(FACTIVA)
LEISURE & ARTS
Yen Envy: Your Money Doesn't Matter
By James P. Sterba
1,257 words
The Wall Street Journal
(...)
The sake was tummy-warming and restful. The raw tuna, broiled eels, dancing shrimp and other delicacies kept coming. A good time seemed to be had by all, and soon came the bill: 12,600 yen, or $91.47. I, of course, didn't have that much yen. But they politely accepted my credit card.

(FACTIVA)
ARTS AND FILM
THE POPS LEAVES 'EM CLAPPING
Richard Dyer, Globe Staff
849 words
The Boston Globe
THIRD
46
(...)
Scheer said he likes to prepare Japanese dishes at home in Boston; like most members of the orchestra he has been avidly exploring the restaurant scene. "When we hit a new place," Scheer explains, "everybody fans out in all directions. The first night in Tokyo two horn players discovered a terrific Korean barbecue place. The next night there were two tables full of people from the orchestra, and the night after that the place was packed. I had my first experience with the dancing shrimp -- it's shelled so fast, it's still kicking around when you put it in your mouth. That's what you call fresh."

(FACTIVA)
FOOD
CHEF'S CHOICE
Sashimi Came From China, And That's no Fish Story
BRUCE COST, SPECIAL TO THE CHRONICLE
654 words
The San Francisco Chronicle
FINAL
6/ZZ5
(...)
The Japanese, it should be pointed out, carry this concept of raw and fresh to unusual extremes. In Japan, a sashimi of raw, sliced filet of chicken breast called sasami is enjoyed. There are the "dancing" shrimp, odori, that are eaten live and snap in your mouth as you try to get them down. And then there's a more-than-fresh fish, which is deftly cut while alive and quickly re-assembled so you have no doubts as to its freshness when it arrives at your table.

(FACTIVA)
Local
VOICES
ONE SECRET TO LOVING THAILAND IS EATING ITS FOOD
Catharine Robinson Contributing writer
791 words
The Post Standard/Herald-Journal
Final
B3
(...)
One of the most interesting foods I have ever seen is a dish called "dancing shrimp." I had read about this dish before I came, so when I saw it on a menu, I had to order it. Basically, they are little live shrimp pulled out of the water and onto the serving dish. They are then covered with spices and continue to wriggle and jump around as they are put on the table. They can jump as high as a foot in their attempt to get out of the dish.

The sport of it is to then catch the "dancing shrimp" midair on your spoon and eat them before they have all died. That's something I have never seen on the menu of any Thai restaurant back home.