Hypercorrection of /w/-/hw/

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon May 24 20:12:33 UTC 2004

At 1:10 PM -0700 5/24/04, FRITZ JUENGLING wrote:
>Win would  "whether"  "weather", "which"  "witch",
>"where"  "wear", etc. ever  be ambiguous?  They aren't even the same
>parts of speech?  (if they ever would be, why not 'would' wood"?)
>Fritz

Good point, but one place it comes up is in correcting a misspelling,
i.e. in mention rather than use contexts:
That first word on the second line is supposed to be "HWE-ther", not
"WEA-ther".
Sorry about that typo; of course I meant [hwIch], not [wIch].
She's an expert on [wa:lz], not on [hwa:lz].
etc.

Larry