Angels Biscuits; "Civilization is judged by prisoner treatment"

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue May 25 02:55:27 UTC 2004

ANGEL BISCUIT

   I received in the mail an ADS-related promotion to buy the DICTIONARY OF
SMOKY MOUNTAIN ENGLISH (710 pages, hardcover, University of Tennessee Press,
2004) by Michael B. Montgomery and Joseph S. Hall, for $60.  It's probably the
book of the year.
   There are several regional phrases and food terms in the book, so let's
get right to destroying it.  "Angel biscuit" is cited from 1996.

(WWW.NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM)
Lima News - 1/7/1962
...MARY LOU NAVARRE 1915 Jo Jean Road ANGEL BISCUITS 1 pkg. compressed yeast
2.....for 10 to 12 minutes. Makes 12 to 16 BISCUITS. MRS. CLIFFORD HUNTWORK
108 W..
Lima, Ohio Sunday, January 07, 1962  892 k

Lima News - 1/28/1962
...Dr. Gaymont's father, also ANGEL BISCUITS 1 pkg. compressed yeast
2.....for 10 to 12 minutes. Makes 12 to 16 BISCUITS. MRS. CLIFFORD IIUNTWORK m W..
Lima, Ohio Sunday, January 28, 1962  361 k

Great Bend Daily Tribune - 2/27/1966
...Scalloped Potatoes Wax Beans O'Brien ANGEL BISCUIT Honey Butter Orange
Slush.....father, chose a floorlength gown of ANGEL satin designed with a back
panel..
Great Bend, Kansas Sunday, February 27, 1966  580 k

Mansfield News Journal - 2/15/1976
...at Mansfield General Hospital. Make ANGEL BISCUITS for a Heavenly Treat
Dear.....of-the-mill kind, but is aptly named, "ANGEL BISCUITS." I know someone
must..
Mansfield, Ohio Sunday, February 15, 1976  570 k

Chronicle Telegram - 9/19/1984
...90038.) that the correct name is ANGEL BISCUITS. Any help you could
give.....The first is the standard recipe for ANGEL BISCUITS, but it doesn't
exactly..
Elyria, Ohio Wednesday, September 19, 1984  408 k

"A CIVILIZATION IS JUDGED BY HOW IT TREATS ITS PRISONERS"

   Winston Churchill once said that a civilization could be judged by the way
it treated its prisoners.  Not so, says Dr. Dalyrmple.  "One can admire the
civilization of Renaissance Florence without having many illusions as to how it
treated its prisoners."
---"Can Everyone Be Brutal?" by William F. Buckley, Jr., NEW  YORK SUN, 24
May 2004, pg. 11, col. 1.

   I've been have a hard time finding this and its many variations.  It
certainly was said in some form much earlier than Winston Churchill.

(WWW.NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM)
Lincoln Star - 7/5/1971
...s level of civilzation is the way it TREATS ITS PRISONERS." Better
Services.....munist command's offer to release all PRISONERS of war simultaneous with
a..
Lincoln, Nebraska Monday, July 05, 1971  928 k

News - 2/2/1995
...can be judged by how it TREATS ITS PRISONERS. Also by how it TREATS
ITS.....men and women, would temporarily close ITS doors to all civilians except
AWVS..
Frederick, Maryland Thursday, February 02, 1995  564 k

(GOOGLE GROUPS)