Nice People & Nice Problems; Big/Full/Whole Enchilada

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat May 29 04:59:27 UTC 2004

NICE PEOPLE & NICE PROBLEMS

  From AM NEW YORK, 28-30 May 2004, pg. 13, col. 4:

  "Raising Helen" puts you in mind of Louis B. Mayer's remark about wanting to make movies about nice people with nice problems.  This one nices single motherhood to death.

  I searched for "nice people" and "nice problems," but couldn't find Louis B. Mayer or much of anything.

(GOOGLE)
Save the Last Dance (2001)
... 63. Boston Globe / Jay Carr: The most traditional of Hollywood romances, in that
it's resolutely about nice people with nice problems. Read The Review. 63. ...
www.metacritic.com/film/titles/savethelastdance/ - 78k - Cached - Similar pages

(GOOGLE GROUPS)
Washington Post & Boston Globe review RTM (SPOILERS)
... But ''Return to Me'' signals pretty early on that it's going to be
one of those mushy films about nice people with nice problems. ...
alt.fan.david-duchovny - Apr 7, 2000 by ALFORNOS - View Thread (1 article)

BIG/FULL/WHOLE ENCHILADA

  Still no ProQuest Chicago Tribune and no progress on the Los Angeles Times.
  I re-checked "enchilada."  There's one Los Angeles Times 1960s hit, but it's not much.  (See ADS-L archives for a 1959 citation.)

(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
Farmers Market Today
Dick Kidson. Los Angeles Times (1886-Current File). Los Angeles, Calif.: Jun 22, 1960. p. 4 (1 page):
  If Johnny thinks he'll get the full enchilada at the Frms. Mkt., if he's good, naturally he'll be very good.

Bob Addie...; The Lavender Hawk
The Washington Post, Times Herald (1959-1973). Washington, D.C.: Feb 27, 1969. p. C2 (1 page):
  "I think we (the Red Sox) have the best team in baseball," Harrelson continued, "and we're going for the whole enchilada--the pennant and the World Series."

The Cool and the Chutzpah
By BERNARD WEINRAUB Bruce McBroom. New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Aug 23, 1970. p. D15 (1 page):
   "We're going to make films now for cassettes.  That's going to be next.  Everyone knows it.  You'll be able to put a roll of tape into your cassette and you'll see 'Lawrence of Arabia' in your living room.  The whole enchilada."

(WWW.NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM)
Lethbridge Herald - 3/15/1955
...could remeber the Shanghai Hul.cn the FULL ENCHILADA. outfits are included in..
Lethbridge, Alberta   Tuesday, March 15, 1955  749 k
Page 2?, col. 1:  "I'll just wear an eye veil," she (Betty Hutton--ed.) says, "not the full enchilada."

Sheboygan Press - 11/22/1961
...LET US LEAVE AND I'LL HAND OVER THE WHOLE ENCHILADA TO YOU -RIGHT CAPTAIN..
Sheboygan, Wisconsin   Wednesday, November 22, 1961  810 k
STEVE ROPER (syndicated comic):
   LET US LEAVE AND I'LL HAND OVER THE WHOLE ENCHILADA TO YOU RIGHT NOW!

Appleton Post Crescent - 11/22/1961
...s A LET US LEAVE AMD TIL HAND CVES THE WHOLE ENCHILADA TO YOU "RIGHT 'LI MAKE..
Appleton, Wisconsin   Wednesday, November 22, 1961  647 k

YELLOW PLATE SPECIAL

YELLOW PLATE SPECIAL--13 Google hits, 0 Google Groups hits
RED PLATE SPECIAL--28 Google hits, 12 Google Groups hits
GREEN PLATE SPECIAL--116 Google hits, 5 Google Groups hits
ORANGE PLATE SPECIAL--3 Google hits, 0 Google Groups hits
INDIGO PLATE SPECIAL--0 Google hits, ) Google Groups hits
BLUE PLATE SPECIAL--21,300 Google hits, 4,530 Google Groups hits

  Marion's (Bowery, just south of East Fourth Street) has a "Yellow Plate Special."  It's no "blue plate special."

(GOOGLE)
Ty Wenzel BEHIND BARS excerpts... The nights start out with a slew of geriatrics in for Marion’s "Yellow Plate Special" that runs from six to seven pm This crowd is simply mean. ...
tywenzel.com/ty_wenzel_excerpts.htm - 19k - Cached - Similar pages

Marion's Continental - 354 Bowery (at 4th Street) - Manhattan... trendy. Every Night - Yellow plate special: 6-7:3opm soup, salad, entree and coffee - $10.95, Marion's is a New York City jewel. A ...
www.barcrawler.com/marions.html - 6k - Cached - Similar pages

---------------------------------------------------------------BIZARRO & THE BIG APPLE

   Also from today's AM NEW YORK, 28-30 May 2004, pg. 22 cartoon:

BIZARRO by Dan Piraro
Bizarro.com (The King Features link does not work--ed.)
(Adam & Eve eat apples and look from the Garden of Eden out onto Manhattan--ed.)
ADAM:  Oh, that's the BIG Apple.  You're not ready for that yet, trust me.

   It's been two months since I wrote to Ask-a-Librarian and begged them, again after twelve years, to spend five minutes and update an outdated "Big Apple" FAQ on the NYPL Research Library's web page.  No response.
   I re-checked the Mayor's link for "Big Apple Corner."  This official link no longer works:

Press Release Archives #082-97 Legislation "Big Apple Corner"
... Contact: Colleen Roche (212) 788-2958 or Dwight Williams (212) 788-2972. MAYOR
GIULIANI SIGNS LEGISLATION CREATING "BIG APPLE CORNER" IN MANHATTAN. ...
www.ci.nyc.ny.us/html/om/html/97/sp082-97.html - 4k - Cached - Similar pages

   I re-checked my censored "Google Answers" answer to rework it and repost it.  I can't do it; it was harmless.  I didn't say anything wrong.  It was very "professional."  I just provided the correct answer and Google Answers didn't and censored me.
   Maybe I'll spend the weekend looking exotic countries and obscure airlines that crash.