"Mur/Rum" at Asia Pacific Food Expo

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Nov 8 12:53:35 UTC 2004

Greetings again from Singapore. I leave at about midnight for my 24-hour flight home.

The Asia Pacific Food Expo at the Expo Centre (near this airport) was a big success. Products were there to be bought, but most booths gave away free samples. The food was surprisingly normal--no testicles were to be found.

I didn't see Indian food or Korean food represented, however. Most of the food was Chinese and Indonesian and Malaysian and Thai. The people attending the Food Expo were of normal weight, with very few fatties.

The Food Expo is a good example of what other convention centers can do--notably the Javits Center in New York.

MUR/RUM--Polar puffs and cakes (www.polarpuffs-cakes.com) sold "MUR." I was told that, under Islamic standards, "rum" can't be used, so the cake was named "mur." Is that true?

B.H.S.--Banana & Honey & Soy Milk smoothie.

DRAGON BALL--A puff with ham in it.

FLOSS--Duck Floss and Pork Floss and Chicken Floss and Fish Floss were sold all over. You don't get cavities if you floss with duck?

TU-TU CAKE--I haven't Googled it yet.

HONG KONG CUP CAKE--"A world renowned Hong Kong sponge cake in the shape of a cup."

COFFEE ZERACCINO--Ice blended coffee drink. Seen at only one place, so maybe "zerraccino" is a trade name.

WIFE BISCUITS/HUSBAND BISCUITS--Seen at one shop. Again, I don't know how standard this is.