Who's your daddy?

Fri Oct 15 10:02:52 UTC 2004

On Oct 14, 2004, at 23:34, Wilson Gray wrote:
>> For "daddy," HDAS has, among other defs, "the finest, largest, or most
>> striking example," "a man who is an important influence in a field,"
>> and "the lover and protector of a prostitute; pimp."
>
> A prostitute has a "lover and protector"? This is the very antithesis
> of the reality. Anyone who believes that this could possibly be true
> clearly has no experience whatsoever of "the (sporting) life" or "the
> game" and really, really, really needs to get out more. Prostitution is
> not known as "white _slavery_" for no reason.

I'd say "lover" ought not be taken romantically, but literally as a
person who has sexual relations, since pimps do get free samples.
"Protector" is also straightforward: a pimp guards his source of
income. That's how the arrangement works. He protects her from the
cops, other pimps, other prostitutes, and dangerous johns, and feeds
whatever drug habit she has. In return, she gives him free samples and
he takes a cut of what her money-maker brings in. It doesn't mean he's
bringing her chicken soup and warm blankets.

Grant Barrett