Who's your daddy?

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Fri Oct 15 18:50:00 UTC 2004

On Oct 15, 2004, at 11:10 AM, Laurence Horn wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: Who's your daddy?
> --------
>
> At 10:20 AM -0400 10/15/04, Wilson Gray wrote:
>> Whores don't use any drug except alcohol and not much of that,
>> unless they can find a friendly trick to cop for them.
>
> So "crack whore" is an oxymoron?  Whatever the canonical situation,
> there must surely be *some* whores around (and some pimps, and some
> linguistics professors and even some dialectologists) who use drugs
> other than alcohol, and specifically hard drugs, no?
>
> Larry

I must apologize for overly-general claim, given that I have personal
experience only of Central Amsterdam and South-Central Los Angeles,
which, in more ways than one, are mirror images of each other. In
brief, the relevant aspect of Central Amsterdam is a lot of fun,
whereas, the relevant aspect of South-Central Los Angeles is seriously
disturbing, if you have any empathy at all. And my experience was back
in the day before crack existed. In those days, whores were allowed by
their pimps to do only a little boozing. There was always a strong
police presence at all of the strolls and anyone, whore or not, who was
obviously high on anything would be begging to be arrested. You can't
hustle much butt from a jail cell. To paraphrase Richard Pryor, pimps
*need* their money, bad as a hog need slop.

-Wilson