van Goch (was: Nicaragua)

Peter A. McGraw pmcgraw at LINFIELD.EDU
Mon Apr 4 23:00:33 UTC 2005

Good grief!  The difficulty of pronouncing "van Gogh" in Dutch is vastly
overrated.  The voiceless uvular fricative that is spelled with a g or a ch
(or archaically as gh in some names) sounds exotic to American ears,
especially when it forms both ends of a word like this, but anyone who can
wind up for a good spit can produce it.  The idea that even the Dutch have
trouble with it is about as accurate as a statement would be that even
English speakers have trouble pronouncing th.  Americans who can pronounce
the final consonant in Bach without making it into a stop can probably
manage this one, too, if they try.  Even the very same sound as in Bach
makes a pretty good counterfeit that any Dutchman would understand.

Peter Mc.

--On Monday, April 4, 2005 4:21 PM -0400 Wilson Gray <wilson.gray at RCN.COM>