van Goch (was: Nicaragua)

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Tue Apr 5 02:49:00 UTC 2005

On Apr 4, 2005, at 7:00 PM, Peter A. McGraw wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       "Peter A. McGraw" <pmcgraw at LINFIELD.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: van Goch (was: Nicaragua)
> --------
>
> Good grief!  The difficulty of pronouncing "van Gogh" in Dutch is
> vastly
> overrated.  The voiceless uvular fricative that is spelled with a g or
> a ch
> (or archaically as gh in some names) sounds exotic to American ears,
> especially when it forms both ends of a word like this, but anyone who
> can
> wind up for a good spit can produce it.  The idea that even the Dutch
> have
> trouble with it is about as accurate as a statement would be that even
> English speakers have trouble pronouncing th.  Americans who can
> pronounce
> the final consonant in Bach without making it into a stop can probably
> manage this one, too, if they try.  Even the very same sound as in Bach
> makes a pretty good counterfeit that any Dutchman would understand.
>
> Peter Mc.

Have you ever had occasion to be standing chest-to-chest, e.g. while
dancing, with a native speaker of Dutch as she pronounces the Dutch
/g/? I have and I've noticed what is, for me, a unique phenomenon: the
sound of the Dutch /g/ sets off sympathetic vibrations in my diaphragm.

As for trying to reproduce this sound so that a Dutchman can understand
it, I had my problems with that. I lived on Groenburgwal. Over the
course of eighteen months, I was never able to pronounce the name of my
street so that Dutch cabbies could understand it. If the guy spoke
English, I'd end up using Englished "Groon Burgwall." For the rare
non-English-speaking cabbie, I had the address written on a 3x5 card.

--Wilson Gray