one more (slightly used) eggcorn

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Apr 21 13:45:31 UTC 2005

So I heard someone say something on the radio this morning about how
something "really got [his] gander up", and I thought first, Did I
really hear that? and then second, Another for the eggcorn files!

Then I googled "(get) 'gander up' and find a bunch of hits, e.g.

I am sure the special interest groups that ally with the Democrats
will get their gander up.

Obviously, this story gets my gander up, and triggers all my defenses

but to my disappointment, the first hit reveals that I've been
scooped, since it directed me to

http://eggcorns.lascribe.net/english/15/gander/

and notes "As a speculation, the alliteration get one's gander up may
have played a role in the substitution dander > gander (in
conjunction with the image of"

Unfortunately, that was all I was able to read, since my attempt to
open the file of eggcorns was thwarted.  It does look like it must be
an interesting collection, but all I could learn was that "There are
now 243 eggcorns in the database."

Has anyone had better luck opening the database?

Larry