"extremely moot"

Fri Apr 22 14:26:43 UTC 2005

Well, there you have it.  Is this an eggcorn? ...or is
*foredraw* just an obscure word?  I couldn't find it
in any of several dictionaries, much to my surprise
[Webster's New Collegiate and on-line at
http://www.onelook.com/].  I should have used
spell-check: Yahoo spell-check doesn't have *foredraw*
or *foredrawn*.

I have previously been blissfully unaware that there
were two different words - *forego* and *forgo*.  On
the other hand, several of the dictionaries I checked,
e.g., the Cambridge Dictionary of American English,
indicate that *forego* and *forgo* are simply
alternative spellings (Yahoo spell-check also doesn't
have *forego*).  Is this a blending, perhaps in
American English, of two similar words into one?

I can see *foregone conclusion* works in the sense of
being done in past time, but hearing something was
*foregone* or *forgone* would typically mean to me
that something was not done when the opportunity was
available.