"Wag" = "carry"

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Fri Apr 22 22:11:34 UTC 2005

I've just heard Dr. Phil, a Texas-standard, e.g. he pronounces "it" as
"hit," speaker describe a woman as "_wagging_ [her yound-adult] kids
into CostCo." It appears that the semantic fields of "wag" =
"(literally) carry" and "carry" = "take" as in "carry someone to the
picture-show" have started to overlap.

FWIW, it's the first time that I ever heard "wag" used by a male Texan,
except in reference to a dog's tail. In the '40's, males "toted" and
females "wagged." This probably means nothing, since Dr. Phil was
describing an action being performed by a woman.

Also FWIW, Dr. Phil, like Bill Moyers, was born in Oklahoma but reared
in Texas. Old joke:

Q. What's a Texan?
A. A Mexican on his way to Oklahoma.

-Wilson Gray