Memory key

Barbara Need nee1 at MIDWAY.UCHICAGO.EDU
Fri Apr 22 22:37:22 UTC 2005

I just received a request to use some equipment, and was told that
"the laptop would need to be able to read a 'memory-key.'" When I
queried this, I was told it was a USB removable drive, which is what
I thought it might be. However, this was the first time I had heard
the term. I tend to use "flash memory" or a "memory stick", and I
know I have heard "key drive" and I began to wonder what other
variants were out there, and whether there were (manufacturer)
specific versions. I don't know if there is regional variation in
what these are called.

Barbara