Voodoo Shrimp & Volcano Shrimp; Chocolat Moderne; Electronic Encyclopedia of Chicago

bapopik at AOL.COM bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Apr 28 05:34:37 UTC 2005

OT: ELECTRONIC ENCYCLOPEDIA OF CHICAGO
This had been announced for April 28th.
http://www.chicagohistory.org/
Coming May 11:
The Electronic Encyclopedia of Chicago
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------OT: BY CHEESE POSSESSED & CHOCOLATE MODERNE
"By Cheese Possessed" is an awful story in Wednesday New York Times. The writer missed the cheese event that I went to, then did a rambling Times article on cheese? N one can speak to me on "hot dog" because they have to print stuff like this?
I mentioned that I made chocolate at Chocolat Moderne a few weeks ago. The chocolate lady is on tv--TWICE this week:
From: Chocolat Moderne [mailto:info at chocolatmoderne.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 26, 2005 1:18 PM
To: I Am
Subject: * * * * Watch Chocolat Moderne on TV twice this week! * * * *

Hello everybody!

Watch for our Chocolatier, Joan, on TV twice this week! Please check your local
listings, but for those in the eastern part of the United States, here is the information:

April 26th, 9M EST on the Food Network Channel's "Roker on the Road" with Al Roker!

April 29th, 8AM EST on CNN's "American Morning" with Gerri Willis!

Joan will be in her own segment during the first half hour of these shows.

Best wishes from us at Chocolat Moderne.

VOODOO SHRIMP & VOLCANO SHRIMP
VOODOO SHRIMP--798 Google hits, 9 Google Groups hits
VOLCANO SHRIMP--335 Google hits, 8 Google Groups hits
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/04/27/dining/27orle.html?pagewanted=2
Voodoo shrimp, which contains black bean paste and is described on the menu as Asian Creole, and volcano shrimp, which includes ginger, soy sauce, black bean paste and Chinese red pepper, reflect the influence of recent migrants to south Louisiana, as does the Vietnamese dipping sauce that is now served with the crawfish balls.
I seem not to have discussed "voodoo shrimp" or "volcano shrimp." If you see "voodoo dancing shrimp," please let me know.
A Lively Place for Snacking and Grazing
By M.H. REED. New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Jun 18, 1995. p. WC17 (1 page) :
Overly sweet as well were Voodoo shrimps, their peanut sauce almost caramelized from the sugar.
Linda's
By Barbara Rothschild and Daniel ZwerdlingSpecial to The Washington Post. The Washington Post (1974-Current file). Washington, D.C.: Feb 16, 1984. p. VAB_16 (1 page):
One of the few hot entrees, Volcano Shrimp, was mostly furnace and too little flavor, although the shrimp were large and carefully cooked.
(NEWSPAPERARCHIVE)
   News Wednesday, August 21, 1974 Port Arthur, Texas
...Chicken curry, SHRIMP Tempura platter, VOLCANO SHRIMP, Bora Bora Fire steak.....CM, Day Dream, Pina Colada, Flaming VOLCANO, Aloha Sling, Aloha Passion..
(FACTIVA)
Discovery Bay dilutes Jamaican spice

Claire Whitaker
719 words
Chicago Sun-Times
FIVE STAR SPORTS FINAL
53; NC
English
(Copyright 1990)

Discovery Bay
Cuisine: American. Address: Embassy Suites Hotel, 707 E. Butterfield Rd., Lombard. Phone: (708) 969-7779. Hours: Sunday through Thursday, 11 a.m. to 9 p.m.; Friday through Saturday, 11 a.m. to 10:30 p.m. Prices: Appetizers $2.65 to $10.95; entrees $9 to $24.95, desserts, $2.25 to $4.25. Credit cards: American Express, Carte Blanche, Diners Club, Discover, MasterCard, Visa. Dress code: no. Reservations: taken. Parking: in adjacent lot. Rating: (STAR)
Discovery Bay in Jamaica is where Columbus supposedly first landed on the island. The restaurant Discovery Bay in Lombard may have started out as a beachhead for Jamaican cuisine in the western suburbs, but its recently revised menu has retreated to mostly American cuisine with some Jamaican flourishes.
I'll admit I never have been a great fan of such Jamaican specialities as salt fish and ackee or goat's head soup. But there are some Jamaican dishes I like - pepperpot soup, suckling pig and mango tarts - that I had hoped would be on this menu. But instead there are "lighter eater" entrees like salmon or breast of chicken, five different steak cuts, pasta and flourless chocolate cake.
Granted, it's a kitchen in transition, but only a few of the American entrees looked particularly unique or interesting, and a couple of these turned out, unfortunately, to be poorly prepared.
Discovery Bay opened a year and a half ago in the new Embassy Suites Hotel, which has a lovely atrium done in a Miami Beach mode.
The best food selections we had were on the Discovery Bay combination appetizer plate ($10.95), which got the meal off to a great start.
Voodoo shrimp were grilled with a smoky, hot barbecue sauce and were excellent ($6.95 separately).
(FACTIVA)
WEEKEND
TURNING TABLES
A Toast To the Taste

Phyllis C. Richman
492 words
The Washington Post
FINAL
n20
With Carpenter and his southern expertise available, the Zarpas brothers have also decided to beef up the menu at the Crow Bar, 1006 20th St. NW. The new listings, which should be in place about now, include deep-fried, chili-spiked "snake bites," crawfish beignets, lobster club sandwiches and voodoo shrimp.
(FACTIVA)
VOODOO SHRIMP CASTS A SPELL: BLEND OF SPICES HELPS GIVE ENTREE A TANGY KICK

282 words
Charleston Daily Mail
P2D
English
(Copyright 1997)

Q: We ate at The Blue Heron, a lovely restaurant on a lake in the
Indianapolis area. My husband and I really enjoyed their tangy Voodoo Shrimp entree. We would love to have the recipe, since our attempts to duplicate the sauce have not succeeded.
Karen Albertson
Pleasanton, Calif.
A: The RCA Dome, one of six major air-supported domes in the world and one of two in this country (the other is the St. Louis Transworld Dome), is a major attraction in the Indianapolis area. The 257-ton roof is composed of two thin layers. The outer layer is Teflon-coated fiberglass, and the inside is a canvas-like material, supported by fan-moved air.
Twenty fans, 100 horsepower each, are available, but typically four fans circulate air on a non-event day, and 12 to 13 fans are in operation on a Colts football game day.
The air generated by these fans is enough to keep the 19-story roof puffed over an 8-acre area, while some 47,000 to 65,000 pedestrians enter and exit through revolving doors.
Indianapolis will host the NCAA Final Four Men's Basketball Championship in the RCA Dome on March 29-31. The Blue Heron, a two-story, A-frame restaurant on Geist Reservoir, is a popular spot, where "suits' rub elbows with "bathing suits' while enjoying the cuisine, scenery and live entertainment on the waterside deck beneath the cathedral-like 40-foot roof.
The sweet heat of the Voodoo Shrimp sauce comes from the dry spice mix, which comes to us from Ellen Selph and Silk Road Spices.
(FACTIVA)
supplement
A TRIP TO THE BIG EASY -

Thom Cardwell
3,192 words
Women's Wear Daily
54S
In the same neighborhood, Uglesich's Restaurant & Bar, at 1238
Baronne Street, is considered the best of New Orleans when it
comes to seafood. At least one food writer has been moved to
call Uglesich's seafood ``divine.'' Regulars rub elbows with the
city's top chefs here at lunch time all the time. Oysters,
crawfish and shrimp prepared in various ways are among the lunch
crowd's favorites. The fried green tomatoes with shrimp
remoulade, shrimp in creamy sauce on a fried cake of grits and
voodoo shrimp in a peppery butter sauce are legendary. No
reservations. For information, call (504) 523-8571.
(FACTIVA)
ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT
WEEKEND MAGAZINE
Real Chinese Authenticity thrives in Panda Garden

Review by Woodene Merriman, Post-Gazette Dining Critic
1,047 words
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
SOONER
20
English
(Copyright 1995)

Guan and Lin, natives of Shanghai, find that Chinese restaurants here usually serve Americanized Chinese dishes, rather than authentic Chinese food.
So when I asked them to join me at the Panda Garden, their expectations weren't too high.
"We expected to find a mediocre eatery, a clone of the thousands of Chinese restaurants that have mushroomed in the past couple of decades in this country," Guan said later.
"We were wrong. This little restaurant is a gem. The menu may look like any menu in a Chinese restaurant, but what comes from the kitchen is definitely different -- of better quality and in more generous portions. And the prices are reasonable."
The meal got off to a good start, with a small fire pot on the table to finish cooking the barbecued beef sticks (four for $4.25). They reminded Guan and Lin of the meat threaded on bamboo strips, cooked and sold on the streets of Beijing. Except that in Beijing, the meat is mutton, not beef.
"Customers wait while the raw mutton on bamboo sticks is being barbecued at street stalls," Guan explained. "They buy it and dip it in various kinds of sauces and eat it while they walk away."
At Panda Garden, the beef, which has been marinated three to four days in a special house sauce of nine ingredients, is half cooked before it is served. Customers put the bamboo sticks on the small alcohol fire pot on the table to finish the cooking to their liking. Guan and Lin thought the taste of Panda Garden's beef on bamboo sticks was great.
Meantime, we were also sipping tea and nibbling on tiny steamed dumplings (six for $3.25). The dumpling filling, my friends noticed immediately, is different from those served at many other Chinese restaurants. Here they are Northern style -- solid ground lean pork and shrimp. In Chinese restaurants that serve Southern-style dumplings, the filling is basically rice cooked in soy sauce, mixed with a little ground meat.
The three of us shared two entrees -- Chinese Festival and Volcano Shrimp (both $10.50) -- and still there was food left to take home.
Chinese Festival (or Lucky for the Whole Family) is a Shanghai dish, with shrimp, beef, chicken, barbecued pork, bamboo shoots, Chinese black mushrooms, Chinese cabbage, and more. It's a spectacular dish, flamed at tableside before serving. Guan had only one criticism: "The presentation of the dish doesn't do justice to its taste. It would look better if some colorful ingredients were added to it."
We all liked the volcano shrimps, bright red from grenadine and red pepper. They're dipped in a light batter, then combined with ginger, scallions, and other ingredients before deep-frying. They're spicy-hot, not a bit oily, and served with bright green broccoli to make a colorful dish.
(FACTIVA)
L.A. LIFE
RESTAURANTS

LARRY LIPSON
1,228 words
Los Angeles Daily News
VALLEY
L47
The restaurant: The Panda.
Where: 18434 Devonshire St., Northridge.
When: Open for lunch, dinner and snacks from 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. daily.
Behind the scenes: Sue Chan is owner. Siu Fook Lou is chef.
Specialties of the house: Imperial lobster, minced chicken and cream corn soup, Panda house duck, volcano shrimp, steak kew with sizzling plate, shredded Peking pork.
(FACTIVA)
TRAVEL & LEISURE
VARIETY OF CUISINE IS A DINER'S DELIGHT

By Tom Uhlenbrock Of the Post-Dispatch
525 words
St. Louis Post-Dispatch
EDITION: FIVE STAR LIFT
PAGE: T7
Trader Vic's in the Palmer House Hilton at 17 East Monroe Street: The last time I ate in a Trader Vic's, it was in the old Bel-Air East Hotel in downtown St. Louis on prom night. I wore a madras tuxedo jacket; she had a helmet-sized bouffant hairdo. The meats have an oak-smoke flavor from the Chinese wood-fired ovens. The volcano shrimp entree was seven large shrimp in a spicy cream sauce. There are wonderful tropical drinks with names like Suffering Bastard, Samoan Fog Cutter and Potted Parrot. But this is the home of the original Mai Tai, first concocted in 1944. Try one, or two.
(FACTIVA)
FRIDAY EXTRA!
DINING REVIEW RESTAURANTS
Try some Thai from the Bay Largo's Thai Bay restaurant is a cozy place for the family to dine.

Mary D. Scourtes
563 words
The Tampa Tribune
FINAL
23
English
(Copyright 1997)

LARGO - Whether you approach from East Bay or West Bay, Largo's best bay may be Thai Bay.
Don't let the drab exterior scare you away. Inside is a warm Oriental pavilion bestrewed with fresh flowers and attended by servers in traditional Thai dress.
It offers a kuntok room, a private area for eight, which is a cozy place for the family to dine while sitting on floor cushions. Other guests can settle for one of 25 tables or booths.
The 1-year-old restaurant offers more than 100 choices, with some having vivid names such as Two Friends Panang (an "award-winning" dish of prawns, curried chicken and asparagus); Volcano Shrimp (shrimp and lava sauce); and Shu-Shi Shrimp (straw mushrooms and jumbo shrimp).

OT: WEINERMOBILE & HOT DOGS
We're in the twenty-first century and still this never ends.

Copyright 2005 Paddock Publications, Inc.
Chicago Daily Herald

April 9, 2005 Saturday
All Editions

SECTION: AUTO SATURDAY; Women with wheels; Pg. 2

LENGTH: 518 words

HEADLINE: Need mustard with your hot dog? Try the wienermobile

BYLINE: Susan Frissell

BODY:

There can't possibly be anyone that doesn't like a hot dog now and then. And for those who really, really like hotdogs, here's a trivia quiz to test your knowledge about one of America's favorite foods.

As you'll soon learn from the following trivia answers, hot dogs are well-loved. It's estimated Americans consume 20 billion hot dogs a year. That's enough wieners to reach to the moon and back four times. Even Babe Ruth, the great ball player, ate 12 hot dogs between games of a scheduled double-header, chased by eight bottles of pop.

See what you know about one of America's favorite foods:

1) On what national television shows has the Wienermobile appeared?

2) In how many movies has the Wienermobile co-starred?

3) What did New York Polo Grounds hawkers call "hot dogs?"

4) Who wrote the wiener jingle for Oscar Mayer?

5) What city's citizens prefer their hot dogs topped with sauerkraut and swiss cheese?

6) Where and when did the first Wiernermobile cruise the streets?

7) How much does a Wiernermobile weigh?

8) How much did Wiener Whistles cost at the 1965 New York World's Fair?

9) What was the chef's name who handed out Wiener Whistles to children from his Wienermobile?

10) Who took a Wiernermobile for a test lap at the 1988 Indy 500?

11) Where and when were hot dogs first served in buns?

12) Which symphony orchestra recorded the familiar ditty "I wish I were an Oscar Mayer Wiener?"

13) Where was the first hot dog created?

14) Which three presidents served hot dogs at an official White House function?

15) How many hot dogs will Americans eat in major league ball parks during a season?

A big part of promoting the hot dog is the traveling Wienermobile. By logging on to Kraft Food's web site (www.Kraftfoods.com) you can find out just where the Wienermobile can be seen. Each year the Wienermobile travels about 1,000 miles per week, or about 50,000 miles per year. If you're lucky enough to spy it cruising the neighborhood, be sure and get on board.

Answers: 1. The Tonight Show with Jay Leno. Late Night with David Letterman, CNN Headline News, The Late Late Show with Tom Snyder, and "Love Connection."

2. Two: "Ladybugs," starring Rodney Dangerfield, and "Another You," starring Richard Pryor and Gene Wilder.

3.Dachshund sausages, renowned sports cartoonist Tad Dorgan couldn't spell dachshund so he wrote "hot dog." The name stuck.

4. Richard Trentlage in 1963.

5. Kansas City.

6. Chicago, 1936.

7. 2 cents, and they were sold in vending machines.

8. Little Oscar.

9. Al Unser, Jr., topped off at a speed of 110 mph.

10. 1904 St. Louis Exposition-the concessionaire had been giving customers white gloves to protect their hands from the steaming wieners, but they kept disappearing.

11. The Berlin Symphony Orchestra-as well as a teenage rock band, a string ensemble and a Nashville country western group.

12. Frankfurt, Germany, hence the name "frankfurter."

13. Franklin D. Roosevelt in 1939, Jimmy Carter in 1977 and Ronald Reagan in 1980.

14. 26 million.

15. More than 7 billion-enough to circle the globe 15 times.

- Susan Frissell is a Chicago area writer who can be reached at editor at womenwithwheels.com.