1880 "Windy City" in Chicago Tribune, from Cincinnati

bapopik at AOL.COM bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Apr 30 07:17:41 UTC 2005

OT: I just got my virus-cleaned computer back from service at COMP USA. I installed Road Runner and got my first "Messenger Service" crap message within two minutes. If anyone can help, e-mail off-line.
ProQuest recently added some material from the Chicago Tribune of 1880-1883. A "windy city" is there. It comes from--it's overwhelming now--Cincinnati. To this day, the Chicago Public Library still insists that New York Sun editor Charles Dana "popularized" the term in 1890, ten years later than this. What more do I have to do?
I'll examine the Chicago Tribune for other items (food, slang) in a little bit.
IN OTHER SPECTACLES.; THE TEMPLAR PAGEANT AS SEEN BY OUTSIDERS. THE CHICAGO IDEA. ALLEGED ARCHES HOW THEY GOT THE MONEY. Cincinnati Commercial. THE LARGE HOTELS WERE WORSE MAGNIFICENT BADGE SET WITH DIAMONDS
Chicago Daily Tribune (1872-1963). Chicago, Ill.: Aug 23, 1880. p. 7 (1 page) :
Cincinnati Commercial.
Yesterday afternoon a reporter noticed half a dozen numbers of Miami (Lebanon, O.) Commandory standing outside of the Gibson House. They had just arrived from the windy city of the lake.
"So you've just got back?" remarked the reporter.
"Got back from where?" was the retort, in feigned surprise.
"Why, from Chicago, of course!"