Slam Dunk (1969)

bapopik at AOL.COM bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Apr 30 07:50:32 UTC 2005

(GOOGLE NEWS)
Tenet Regrets WMD 'Slam Dunk' Comment
San Francisco Chronicle, CA - Apr 28, 2005
Former CIA Director George Tenet said he regretted assuring President Bush in 2002 that he had "slam dunk" evidence that Iraq had weapons of mass destruction. ...
Ex-CIA boss repents on dumbest words Sydney Morning Herald (subscription)
Tenet Regrets WMD 'Slam Dunk' Comment Newsday
Tenet Regrets WMD 'Slam Dunk' Comment Wired News
(ADS-L ARCHIVES)
On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 07:32:30 EST, Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:

>I did some basketball slang before. We're all waiting for the Los Angeles
>Times to get to "slam dunk" and "point guard" by about 1970.

Or even earlier for "slam-dunk(ing)".  I found it surprising that
N-archive had a cite for "slam-dunking" so early on:

   (Van Nuys, California) Valley News, Dec 28, 1969, p. 17 [?]
   There appeared to be a discernible discrepancy in the box score
   accompanying his article on a slam-dunking tournament somewhere
   out in the boondocks of Pasadena.
ProQuest has this only in abstract form, but it appears that "slam dunk" is mentioned in the Los Angeles Times (as expected) on December 21, 1969, beating the evil Ben Zimmer by seven days. I can check it in the NYPL later today if anyone wishes.
(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
DRIVING THE LANE WITH No. 44
SEYMOUR BEUBIS. Los Angeles Times (1886-Current File). Los Angeles, Calif.: Dec 21, 1969. p. 14 (4 pages)
Abstract (Document Summary)
It was once suggested that Jerry West of the Los Angeles Lakers was really an alien from a basketball-playing planet far in advance of ours, who could score any time he wanted, but who missed shots occasionally just so people would never sus-...