"It's a dirty job, but somebody's has to do it." (1977)

Sam Clements SClements at NEO.RR.COM
Thu Aug 4 03:29:44 UTC 2005

Question over at the Straight Dope Message Board.

I found a cite from the premier episode of "The Betty White Show," from 1977, using Proquest.  It was in a tv column by the great Gary Deeb.

Written by the MTM factory.  Specifically, David Lloyd who wrote the "Chuckles the Clown" episode.

Can anyone find an earlier cite?  I don't mean can you find the "sentiment" earlier.  Can you find that exact phrase earlier?

Fred--SURELY this will be in your book?

Sam Clements