"It's a dirty job, but somebody's has to do it." (1977)

Thu Aug 4 04:14:55 UTC 2005

On Wed, 3 Aug 2005 23:29:44 -0400, Sam Clements <SClements at NEO.RR.COM> wrote:

>Question over at the Straight Dope Message Board.
>
>I found a cite from the premier episode of "The Betty White Show," from
>1977, using Proquest.  It was in a tv column by the great Gary Deeb.
>
>Written by the MTM factory.  Specifically, David Lloyd who wrote the
>"Chuckles the Clown" episode.
>
>Can anyone find an earlier cite?  I don't mean can you find the "sentiment"
>earlier.  Can you find that exact phrase earlier?

According to a 1972 AP article on N-archive, this line was used by private
eye Nick Stone in the CBS series "Tightrope" (1959-60). Stone was played
by Mike Connors, who went on to play the title role in "Mannix".

--Ben Zimmer