CFM PUMPS, not shoes

Michael McKernan mckernan at LOCALNET.COM
Thu Aug 11 16:03:39 UTC 2005

Sabrina LeBeouf wrote:

>Subject:      Re: CFM PUMPS, not shoes

>I've found this topic very interesting and will now throw in my 2 cents...I
>first heard the expression a few years ago on an episode of Sex in the City
>when Samantha thinks her guy is cheating on her because she saw him getting
>into a cab with a woman wearing "come-fuck-me-HEELS."

Yes, it interests me as well, that so many posts convey a sense of lexical
precision:  shoes-no, pumps-no, heels.

AFAIK, both pumps and heels are varieties of shoes (heels can also refer to
boots; perhaps some designer has introduced combat boots with stiletto
heels!).  Definitions I've seen of 'pumps' indicate a low-cut shoe, without
laces, straps, or other closures.  Some 'heels' are pumps, others, such as
platforms with straps (the equivalent of an elegant, elevated sandel, I
suppose), etc., are not pumps.  All are shoes (or boots, as noted.)

I'm sure there is far more complexity to the terminology of women's shoes
than this, but I remain (mostly) ignorant of it, as well as the non-verbal
messages conveyed.

Thinking back to 'Doc Martens' or DMs:  I'm told that at one point, punk
rockers (in the UK, anyway) adopted DMs, especially one red model, as the
footwear of choice, but later abandoned them because of declining quality.
DMs, AFAIK, are actually sold under a different brand name, 'but everyone
knew her as Nancy.'  Originally from Germany, the actual Doc as Doc
Maertens or something like that.   So there may be a bit more of a
story-line there.

Thinking forward to men's shoe lexicon,  aren't there some   -kicker shoe
terms?  And clod-hoppers?  (Rather generic, as I remember them).  I seem to
vaguely remember hearing names for pointed-toe men's dress/fashion shoes,
too?

Michael McKernan