A funny Hoosier mangling

Dennis R. Preston preston at MSU.EDU
Fri Dec 2 12:03:29 UTC 2005

Neutralization of the tense -lax pairs before /l/ is well-known in
central Indiana.No northern or southern Hoosier would do it.

It cannot count a malapropism however, since such speakers have this
as a general rule. Pool is pull, peel is pill, fail is fell, etc...

Dan Flynn at MSU is in fact hard at work in central Indiana finding
out the facts of this interesting neutralization. The New
Phonological Atlas does not cover enough countryside areas to give us
a good picture o fits regional distribution.

dInIs

PS: The Hoosierisms cited here are not, of course, including this
neutralization exclusively Hoosier. In Pittsburgh they like to joke
about the "Stillers."

--
Dennis R. Preston
University Distinguished Professor