America--"love it or leave it"

Mon Dec 12 00:18:20 UTC 2005

On 12/11/05, Sam Clements <SClements at neo.rr.com> wrote:

> I'm sure Fred is the one for this, but I stumbled across a 1940
> advertisement Using NewspaperArchive.
>
> Are there any earlier cites for this?

The earliest I see on Proquest is in a Hedda Hopper column in the LA
Times, Oct. 24, 1940, slightly later than the NPA ad, appearing in the
Gettysburg (Pa.) Star And Sentinel, Aug. 10, 1940.

> The image and words were copyright 1940 by SVR.  What was SVR?

>From the context I think it must have been the Sons of Veterans
Reserve, an organization commemorating Union veterans of the Civil
War, which unsurprisingly was very active in Gettysburg.

--Ben Zimmer