Queen Apple Pie (1916); Lemon Apple Pie (1894)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Dec 12 03:54:20 UTC 2005

More on "Queen Apple," specifically "Queen Apple Pie" or "Lemon Apple Pie."
There's a recipe you don't see anymore.
(OED)
queen-apple, an early  variety of apple;
1579 _SPENSER_ (http://dictionary.oed.com/help/bib/oed2-s4.html#spenser)
Sheph. Cal. June 43 Tho would I  seeke for *Queene apples vnrype. 1626  _BACON_
(http://dictionary.oed.com/help/bib/oed2-b.html#bacon)  Sylva §511 Few Fruits
are  coloured Red within; The Queen-apple is. 1707  _MORTIMER_
(http://dictionary.oed.com/help/bib/oed2-m4.html#mortimer)  Husbandry 537 The Queen Apple,
those..of the  Summer kind, are good Cyder Apples, mix'd with others.
_HOUSEHOLD  DEPARTMENT; True and Tried Recipes, Fancy Work and Cooking for
the Season--Talks  With Housekeepers About Economy--Talks With Mothers About
Children-  Correspondence on All Topics of Home Interest. DAILY HINTS FOR EVERY
HOUSEKEEPER  BREAKFAST DINNER SUPPER RICE GRIDDLECAKES WHITE SOUP LEMON TARTS
Read Carefully. _
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=0&did=713960222&SrchMode=1&sid=4&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT=309&VName=HNP&TS=1134358512&clientId=
65882)
Boston Daily Globe. Jan 25, 1914. p. 42 (3  pages)
("Queen Apple Pie" is somewhere here--ed.)
     _Daily Review_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Viewer.aspx?img=olJOpJH/3rKKID/6NLMW2tPXUWVk8AvSvnZGVlm7oQQRXo9KEVIjaw==)  _Thursday, June 08, 1916_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=)  _Decatur,_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search="queen+apple+pie"+AND+cityid:7138+AND+st
ateid:37)   _Illinois_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search="queen+apple+pie"+AND+stateid:37)   ...mean what is  sometimes called QUEEN
APPLE PIE and sometimes  PIE. This it..

Pg. 8, col. 5:
LEMON APPLE PIE.
Dear Miss Leonard--I once tasted a pie which was called apple pie, but was
quite different from the ones we usually call by that name. It was a one-crust
pie, filled with a rich,, creamy, pulpy sort of mixture, in which I could
taste  apple and fresh lemon, lemon rind, I should say. If you have a recipe for
anything like this I should much appreciate it if you would publish it.--Mrs.
L.  L. W.
I fancy that you mean what is sometimes called queen apple pie and  sometimes
lemon-apple pie. This is, indeed, very rich and makes an unusually
acceptable dessert. It is a mixture of cream, eggs, grated apple and lemon. Here  is
one recipe: Pare and grate one large apple. Take one lemon and save the  grated
yellow part. Cut it in halves and squeeze the juice of one-half over the
grated apple pulp. Now, add the rind. Beat to a cream two level tablespoonfuls  of
butter, then beat in successively half a cup of water, the yolks of two eggs,
 half a cup of sweet cream and the prepared apple pulp. Turn into a small
baking  plate lined with a good pastry and bake until the filling is firm. Frost
with a  heavy meringue made from the whites of the two eggs.
     _Fort  Wayne News_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Viewer.aspx?img=qfOSkbCfQu2KID/6NLMW2hO312Pv6B9wLNrpmGd1DutwUONAFOFcSQ==)  _Friday, July 31, 1896_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=)  _Fort  Wayne,_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search="lemon+apple+pie"+AND+cityid:10328
+AND+stateid:38)  _Indiana_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search="lemon+apple+pie"+AND+stateid:38)   ...APPLE  Butter, Fresft Gr Bread,
LEMON APPLE PIE, Cheese.  Bice Pudding, Black..
_BEST  HOME COOKING.; "Daily Hints" Are Popular With Women Readers.
"Questions Asked  and Answered" Prove a Hit in the Recipe Department. "True and Tried"
Still  Coming in from Clever Women of New England. Rice and ... Recipes Given,
 Inquiries Made. Pickled Eggs and Beets. Non-Fat Doughnuts. Baking-Powder
Biscuit. Printanier Grenat Soup. Biscuits Made by a Man. Squash Pie Filling.
Criticism Answered Peach Shortcake. Ham Balls. White Cake. Lemon Pie. Whipped
... and Red Cabbage. ... or Salem. ... Grandmother's Cookies. Dover Cake Lemon
Apple Pie. Plain Dinner. Angel Cake. Answer to Request. Pickled Red Cabbage.
Whole Wheat Bread, Etc. _ (http://proquest.umi.com/
pqdweb?index=0&did=570548392&SrchMode=1&sid=1&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT=309&VName=HNP&TS=1134359411
&clientId=65882)
Boston. Nov 16, 1894. p.  8 (1 page)