Hunkee Doree (1865) & Maison Doree?

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Dec 27 16:31:34 UTC 2005

FYI, from OED. Note the "doree" spelling of the first citation, from  October
1866.
So hunky-dory, dorey [second element of unknown origin] a., satisfactory,
fine.
1866  Galaxy 1 Oct. 275, I cannot  conceive on any theory of etymology..why
anything that is ‘hunkee doree’..should  be so admirable. 1868  in G. C. D.
Odell Ann. N.Y. Stage (1936) VIII.  390 [Even Samuel Slater admitted that
Tostee, when and if she  sang, was] hunky~dory. 1907  _N.  MUNRO_
(http://dictionary.oed.com/help/bib/oed2-m4.html#n-munro)  Daft Days xxi, Before one  marries
it's Before oneit's fairy all the time. 1907  _M. C. HARRIS_
(http://dictionary.oed.com/help/bib/oed2-h.html#m-c-harris)  Tents of Wickedness iv. ii. 341
I've had my luncheon, and I feel better already. Oh, it's all  hunky-dory. 1943
N. BALCHIN  Small Back Room 172 Well, unless  the electricity they taught me
is all wrong, that ought to be hunky-dory. 1956  _D. M.  DAVIN_
(http://dictionary.oed.com/help/bib/oed2-d.html#d-m-davin)  Sullen Bell III. iv. 233, I
thought everything was hunkydory and you were well on the way to being a big
executive. 1969  _J.  GARDNER_
(http://dictionary.oed.com/help/bib/oed2-g.html#j-gardner)  Founder Member ii. 17  Everythink's 'unkey dorey 'ere. No  problem.