More on "Intelligent Design"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Sat Dec 31 00:04:47 UTC 2005

Not to quibble, but "an intelligent design" in or behind the cosmos is a descriptive collocation rather than the lexical item that is "Intelligent Design."
  JL

Fred Shapiro <fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Fred Shapiro
Subject: More on "Intelligent Design"

Here's slightly earlier:

1874 _American Naturalist_ Jan. 42 (American Periodical Series) For the
causes of this cause we have sought in vain among the physical forces
which surround us, until we are at last compelled to rest upon an
independent volition, a far-seeing intelligent design.

Fred Shapiro

Fred R. Shapiro Editor
Associate Librarian for Collections and YALE DICTIONARY OF QUOTATIONS
Access and Lecturer in Legal Research Yale University Press,
Yale Law School forthcoming
e-mail: fred.shapiro at yale.edu http://quotationdictionary.com