"I must, I must, I must increase my bust" (1970)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed Jan 5 03:40:01 UTC 2005

I MUST INCREASE MY BUST--688 Google hits, 299 Google Groups hits
Ben Zimmer is doing "must-see," but he leaves out another "must." Gotta  keep
Fred Shapiro abreast of these things. Is this from the late
1960s?..Nowadays, of course, people don't chant this and do stretching exercises  to increase
bust size. Alas.
(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
_The  Young Teen Scene_
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=0&did=90628448&SrchMode=1&sid=1&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT=309&VName=HNP&TS=1104895579&cl
ientId=65882)
By DOROTHY BRODERICK. New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Nov
8,  1970. p. 325 (3 pages)
Third page:
The best book of the seven and a good book by any terms, is _ARE YOU THERE
GOD? IT'S ME, MARGARET_ by Judy Blume (Bradbury, $4.50). (...) The chant, "I
must--I must--I must increase my bust!" accompanied by the appropriate
exercises  will evoke in older females memories of similar  experiences.