Tar-Zhay; Jean-Claude Penne; Wal-Fart; Albertscums; Needless Markup; Taco Hell

JP Villanueva jpvillan at SEAPREP.ORG
Mon Jan 17 07:37:57 UTC 2005

Was my previous message just a bunch of code?  Sorry, I'll try again.--jpv

------
We've said 'tar-zhay' or even 'la tar-zhay' here in the Pacific Northwest ever since Target stores first came in the 80s.  We used to have an upscale department store called The Bon Marche' (now Bon-Macy's; soon to be Macy's, to satisfy someone's corporate ego).  Pronounce 'marche'' as /mar-shEy/ as in the french past participle of the verb 'marcher'.

Anyway, KMart was known as K-Marche', and Target was 'La target.'   I've never heard anyone say 'Wal-marche'' but I bet if I did it, no one around here would bat an eyelash.

For us, there was no 'upscale' or 'chic' feel to saying 'la target' a la francaise, it was just funny, and a little bit derisive.

We have a rhyming phenomenon with fast food and pizza restaurants:
Jack in the Box = jack in the crack
Pizza Time = pizza crime
Pizza Answer = pizza cancer
Pizza Hut  = pizza slut
Taco Bell = toxic hell

I can attest to hearing all of those, but I'm not sure I've ever heard "burger thing " for Burger King