copacetic?

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Fri Jan 21 00:27:16 UTC 2005

>>"Copathetic" can be found just about as early as any spelling of
>>"copasetic" AFAIK. Phonetically /T/ > /s/ is more likely than /s/ >
>>/T/, I
>>think.
>
>But is this a sound change that one could reasonably expect to occur or
>to have occurred in English, even if, e.g. Robert Johnson's "Stones In
>My Passway" is accepted as derived from "... Pathway"?

It doesn't occur very often, but I find it more likely than the opposite
one, all else equal. And in this case I find it hard to believe that the
two words are independent and unrelated.

Of course one can also speculate that /s/ > /T/ occurred here under
influence from "sympathetic", "apathetic", etc.

All just speculation so far!

-- Doug Wilson