The stink/The stank

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sat Jan 22 01:26:43 UTC 2005

At 4:58 PM -0500 1/21/05, Wilson Gray wrote:
>On Jan 21, 2005, at 1:40 PM, Mullins, Bill wrote:

>>-----------------------
>>Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>>Poster:       "Mullins, Bill" <Bill.Mullins at US.ARMY.MIL>
>>Subject:      Re: The stink/The stank
>>--------

Well, since nobody's chimed in yet with HDAS's entry...
The first cites of the verb are indeed associated with "Black E.",
'to force or coerce, bully, intimidate', from 1966.  Us whiteys'
sense for the verb as 'hog, esp. of a marijuana cigarette' dates back
to its memorable occurrence in the "Easy Rider" movie, 1969.   I
couldn't remember (duh!) the "artists" who popularized that
song--Fraternity of Man?  If you say so....

Artist: The Fraternity Of Man Lyrics
Song: Don't Bogart Me Lyrics

Don't bogart that joint, my friend
Pass it over to me.
Don't bogart that joint, my friend
Pass it over to me.

Roll another one
Just like the other one.
This one's burnt to the end
Come on and be a friend.

Don't bogart that joint, my friend
Pass it over to me.
Don't bogart that joint, my friend
Pass it over to me.

Ro-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-oll another one
Just like the other one.
You've been hanging on to it
And I sure would like a hit.