The stink/The stank

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Sat Jan 22 02:09:49 UTC 2005

"To bogart" = to intimidate, bully (usu. "into" something), kind of like a Bogart character.

Thanks, Wilson, for the first example in many years. Am proud to be a part of it.

JL

"Mullins, Bill" <Bill.Mullins at US.ARMY.MIL> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: "Mullins, Bill"
Subject: Re: The stink/The stank

Bogart? Don't know the verb that way. Bogart isn't in the OED,
and I need to remind myself to look it up in HDAS tonight (just
got a copy of Vol 1, ha!).

The only way I know the verb "to bogart" is like the song,
"Don't bogart that joint, my friend". (My interest was, ah,
purely academic -- that is, I _was_ in college at the time ....)