"Clod" from Texas

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed Jan 26 10:25:02 UTC 2005

"Clod," as in a shoulder of beef from Texas. "Clod" is in OED and DARE, but
not in this sense. It's not in William Grimes's EATING YOUR WORDS.
This was written up in this week's Village Voice:
_http://www.villagevoice.com/nyclife/0504,sietsema,60393,15.html_
(http://www.villagevoice.com/nyclife/0504,sietsema,60393,15.html)
Though you can also get pork ribs and pork chops, the emphasis is on beef,
most especially brisket ("fat beef") and shoulder ("lean beef"). Also known as
"clod," the latter resembles a clod of earth from the surrounding cotton
fields  in its humpy blackness, and tastes something like smoked roast beef.
(GOOGLE)
_The Sonoran Grill - meats & fi: Texas Slow-smoked  Clod Of Beef_
(http://www.sonorangrill.com/recipes/display.asp?rec=117)
... Texas  Slow-smoked Clod Of Beef. This process also works well with beef
brisket.
print it! Clod Of Beef. Barbecue Rub. Barbecue Sauce.  ...
www.sonorangrill.com/recipes/display.asp?rec=117 - 25k - _Cached_
(http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:_YZ0xbH1OrcJ:www.sonorangrill.com/recipes/display.as
p?rec=117+clod+and+texas&hl=en&ie=UTF-8)  - _Similar pages_
(http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=related:www.sonorangrill.com/recipes/display.
asp?rec=117)
_The Lone Star Iconoclast Online_
(http://www.iconoclast-texas.com/News/2004/50news05.htm)
... market.” On the recent trip, the Russian chefs focused on  Texas cuisine
through ...
foodservice gets high value from cuts  like the shoulder clod, brisket, and
www.iconoclast-texas.com/News/2004/50news05.htm - 11k - _Cached_
(http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:CYx-YvYX2q0J:www.iconoclast-texas.com/News/2004/50new
s05.htm+clod+and+texas&hl=en&ie=UTF-8)  - _Similar pages_
(http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=related:www.iconoclast-texas.com/News/2004/50ne
ws05.htm)
(GOOGLE GROUPS)
_Recipe for Beef Shoulder_
(http://groups-beta.google.com/group/rec.food.cooking/browse_frm/thread/dd0f21a89817f5
4c/ed4981c0c2035a8b?q=clod+and+texas+beef&_done=/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=clod+and+texas+beef&&_doneTitle=Back+to
+Search&&d#ed4981c0c2035a8b)
Are you  talking about shoulder clod? As in what you get at Kruez' Market  in
Texas? ... Hi, I'm looking for a recipe that uses  beef shoulder.
_rec.food.cooking_ (http://groups-beta.google.com/group/rec.food.cooking)  -
May  7 2001, 4:36 pm by smokin - 5 messages - 5 authors
(NEWSPAPERARCHIVE)
     _Daily Northwestern _
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Viewer.aspx?img=Pf2/SIh9fJOKID/6NLMW2l5T0pCunoRROMyErHIGbQz/XFyoqAKe1w==)  Friday, April 10,
1896 _Oshkosh,_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=city:oshkosh+shoulder+and+clod+AND)  _Wisconsin_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=state:wisconsin+shoulder+and+clod+AND)
...neck, brisket, knuckle  AND SHOULDER CLOD, were quite as rich ia protein
AND.....its nutritive qualities. The SHOULDER CLOD by  aaa'yMs contains quite
as much..
     _Davenport Daily Republican _
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Viewer.aspx?img=3YGl/Jks4m6KID/6NLMW2nM/LzxMe8RXIbkV9xtXMBpJ+q0wEqLFskIF+CsZYmrz)
Sunday, April 19, 1896 _Davenport,_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=city:davenport+shoulder+and+clod+AND)  _Iowa_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=state:iowa+shoulder+and+clod+AND)
...its nutritive  qualities. The SHOULDER CLOD by analysis contains  quite as
much.....muscle with names such as knuckle AND  SHOULDER were quite as rich
iu protein..
     _North Adams Transcript _
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Viewer.aspx?img=WSgtrs8BeYeKID/6NLMW2vp0bHPUdKT4KZkvmd44PDK4z8x9dnNO0EIF+CsZYmrz)  Friday,
October 12, 1900  _North Adams,_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=city:north_adams+shoulder+and+clod+AND)  _Massachusetts_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=state:massachusetts+shoulder+and+clod+AND
)      ...U 15 20 20 10  to 5 to 10 11 SHOULDER CLOD Corned 10 11 H 1G i
TInncy Comb 3.....1000 Ibs. MurraH'a SOO Iba. KiTs 10  SHOULDER Slum Rib 11
Sirloin  16..

OT: TYLER & COWANS
Someone asked about the words "Tyler" and "Cowans" on  Dave Wilton's word
origins site. Tyler Cowan, as I've mentioned before, is my  old chess friend who
has a web page on Washington, DC restaurants. Hm, maybe I  should eat out at
restaurants.