duck tape?

sagehen sagehen at WESTELCOM.COM
Sat Jul 23 15:30:22 UTC 2005

>Margaret Lee wrote:
>
>> I was at Home Depot the other day and saw duct
>> tape spelled  as "duck tape"  on the package
>> label.
>> Has anyone else seen this spelling? Is it an
>> eggcorn?
>
>See:
>
>http://www.octanecreative.com/ducttape/DT101/index.html
>
>for a full explanation, which boils down to "Duck" as both the original
>name for the tape and now a trademark of Duck brand (a division of
>Henkel Consumer Adhesives) in Avon, Ohio. The tape got its name from its
>ability to shed water and the maker's use of cloth duck for a layer.
>
>The Wikipedia entry is worth looking at too:
>
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duct_tape
>
>John
 ~~~~~~~~~
This may be covered in the web sites John mentions (with my elderly browser
I rarely follow these up), but there is another probable ancestor of the
"duct/duck" tape that holds the world together today.  This was a gray,
cloth tape with a water-based adhesive that was used to seal the joints in
furnace ducts conveying hot air up, and  cold air back to the plenum.
A. Murie