Sloppy Joe-the sandwich (1944)-Cuba?

Sam Clements SClements at NEO.RR.COM
Sat Jun 4 01:19:54 UTC 2005

Now that I've hung myself out to dry, I went back to Newspaperarchive, and
typed in "sloppy joes sandwich" as three separate words, no quote marks. And
what pops up is an earlier cite.  Don't ask me how I did this.

Again.  Ohio.

>From the _Mansfield(OH) News Journal_, 27 March, 1940, p. 14, col. 4
(Again, an advertisement).

    HAMILTON'S
             New
   SANDWICH BAR
       Featuring
           5 cent
           Hot Dogs---
          Barbecues---
          Sloppy Joes
    Over 30 Different Kinds
      of Sandwiches

So, I still say the sandwich came from Cuba, and the bar called Sloppy
Joe's, a favorite with Americans. before the war.

I'm just surprised at this earlier finding.    And, yes, I did check the
masthead of the paper to insure it wasn't a false hit.

Sam Clements