"Is you is or is you ain't?" (1921)

Sun Jun 12 05:12:48 UTC 2005

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 22:27:52 -0400, Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM> wrote:

>And what is it that's supposed to be "humorous" in this fiction? Its
>content or the fact that it's written in "black dialect"?

That wasn't meant to be a personal evaluation of his work. I was cribbing
from this site: <http://tarlton.law.utexas.edu/lpop/cohen.html>. I have no
clue why this sort of stuff was considered "humorous" at the time. The
past is a different country, as they say...

Regardless of his attempts at humor through racist caricature, I wonder if
he was picking up on an actual locution he had heard with "Is you is or is
you ain't?" Perhaps this was a common jocular expression that Louis Jordan
then put to song two decades later.

>Did Mr.Cohen live long enough to become familiar with the "Carolina
>Israelite"?

Cohen died in 1959, so he would have been alive for Harry Golden's heyday,
but I don't know if their politics agreed.