strong like ball

Gordon, Matthew J. GordonMJ at MISSOURI.EDU
Wed Mar 2 00:37:57 UTC 2005

I heard a new-to-me phrase on the radio: "testicular fortitude" which I took to be a form of "intestinal fortitude" gone south. The context was a local sports program discussing a particular coach. As expected, Google show 11k hits for it (cf. 63k for "intestinal fortitude").

While I'm at it, I'd always thought of "intestinal fortitude" as a humorously formal alternative to "guts." Does the evidence suggest it arose as a deliberately funny coinage? I see OED has a 1945 citation from Edgar Bergen/Charlie McCarthy.

Also, was "guts" seen as vulgar or coarse at some time? Today it seems mostly just informal.

-Matt Gordon