strong like ball

Ted Gellar thgellar at NCSU.EDU
Wed Mar 2 01:54:37 UTC 2005

> I heard a new-to-me phrase on the radio: "testicular fortitude" which I
> took to be a form of "intestinal fortitude" gone south. The context was a
> local sports program discussing a particular coach. As expected, Google
> show 11k hits for it (cf. 63k for "intestinal fortitude").

It's quite likely that a large chunk of those hits were influenced by an
episode of the Fox cartoon Family Guy (now airing on Cartoon Network's
Adult Swim).  Season 4, episode 4, "A Very Special Family Guy Freakin'
Christmas."

Stewie, the talking baby-cum-arrogant queen, dreams of having a showdown
with Santa Claus (who manifests powers akin to Darth Vader's), wakes up,
and accuses "Klaus" of not having the "testicular fortitude to show
himself."

Ted Gellar
NCSU undergrad
thgellar at ncsu.edu
---
"Perfection has nothing to do with music.  If you strive for perfection,
you have failed."
::Emma Lou Harris