A little more on y'all redux

Fri Mar 4 22:12:35 UTC 2005

I don't think anyone disagrees with the following (correct me, please, if I
am wrong):

1. The form "y'all" is overwhelmingly used in the plural in American English,
when it is used at all.
2. The form "y'all" is sometimes used in frozen expressions (e.g., "Y'all
come back") to address single persons.
3. Some Southerners will tell you, when asked, "Y'all can be used in the
singular."
4. People sometimes make slips of the tongue when speaking.
5. Most published articles on the subject in scholarly journals seek to
demonstrate that "y'all" is overwhelmingly used in the plural, i.e., most scholars
who have seriously studied the subject--enough actually to publish articles on
the topic--agree.
6. One article, by Guy Bailey et al., based on telephone surveys in Texas (or
was it Oklahoma?) presents some evidence that, under direct question, a
healthy minority of respondents agreed with the proposition that "Y'all can be used
in the singular." The article has been criticized for its methodology, but it
certainly supports the anecdotal evidence represented by (3) above.

To this I would add (wondering if there is any disagrement from any quarter):

1. "Y'all" pretty clearly started as a plural, parallel to "yuhnz" (< "you" +
"ones"), "yuhz" (< "you" + "{Plural Suffix}"), and "you guys."
2. There is little if any linguistic reason (psychological or social) for
speakers to use "y'all" as a singular, since "you" already exists and "y'all" is
rather transparently plural given its morphology. Thus one would not EXPECT
"y'all" to be used as a singular, except maybe in dialect mixture, by outsiders
trying to sound like insiders.

I myself don't know of any "Southern academics and intellectuals" for whom
putative singular "y'all" is a "hot-button issue"--or any "sophisticated
Southerners" who issue "striking, dogmatic refusal[s]" and "deny categorically that
it can or does" exist. It does seem to be a "hot-button issue" for
wuxxmupp2000, who sounds right angry in the message below, apparently because people on
the listserve have taken issue with various specific pieces of data that have
been asserted seeking to demonstrate specific instances of singular "y'all."

Of course singlular "y'all" "exists." It "exists" in frozen expressions. It
"exists" in slips of the tongue. It exists in the minds of some Yankees trying
to speak Southern. It exists, if only as an artifact of how one asks the
question, in Guy Bailey's study. Most importantly, it clearly exists as a
grammatical possiblity in the minds of some speakers of American English, as some of
the writers on this list-serve have demonstrated (just as there are other
Southerners, generally a majority, for whom it does not exist as a grammatically
possiblity). It may even exist as a very minor subset of all the unselfconscious
utterances of "y'all" that are generated in America on a given day by bone
fide adult nonsenile nonpathological Southern speakers (though why they would do
so seems a historical and linguistic mystery).

A serious linguist will ask, "How frequent is this form? Under what
circumstances is it actually used? What is the historical and psychological and social
function of such a form?" A serious linguist will not simply rant against
against the "academics and intellectuals" who, for reasons that are not clear to
anyone, including the ranter ("I find it amazing and symptomatic - of what I'm
not certain"), do not see the issues the way he does.