*change* + preposition (was: change > change out)

Lesa Dill lesa.dill at WKU.EDU
Thu Mar 17 15:51:48 UTC 2005

I wonder if the meanings of "change" (change as in money) is prompting
the added  "up" for clarification.  "I'll change some money" wouldn't
work, would it?  It would have to be "exchange".  Prefixes becoming
particles is common.  Could "change out" and "change up" could both be
used  with the same meaning in your example?