Groucho Marx quotes (Never forget a face; Accept me as a member)

bapopik at AOL.COM bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu May 5 07:04:35 UTC 2005

The Wikipedia has a large selection of Groucho Marx quotes. These two are listed as "attributed." I don't know what Marxist material Fred Shapiro has.
"I NEVER FORGET A FACE"
http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Groucho_Marx
"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception."
ON THE SIDE WITH E. V. DURLING
Los Angeles Times (1886-Current File). Los Angeles, Calif.: Feb 16, 1937. p. A1 (1 page)
Groucho Marx. My nomination for Public Wisecracker No. 1. When and where was it Groucho said to somebody, "I never forget a face--but I'm going to make an exception in your case."
; Tift DISTRICT LINE;; iVfeybe the Signs Should Be Changed to Read: *Fine for Parking9
by BilB Gold!. The Washington Post (1877-1954). Washington, D.C.: Jan 8, 1949. p. B14 (1 page) :
As Groucho Marx puts it:
"I never forget a face, but in your case I'd be willing to make an exception."
   The Iowa Recorder Wednesday, June 09, 1937 Greene, Iowa
...GROUCHO MArx, the movIe comedIAn: "I NEVER FORGET A fAce, but I wIll mAke An.....And her frIend ter, Mrs. S. M. Beeker And fAmIly. I FrIdAy And SAturdAy..
Pg. 6, col. 7:
Latest from Groucho Marx, the movie comedian: "I never forget a face, but I will make an exception of yours."

"ACCEPT ME AS A MEMBER"
A Marxman's Targets; GROUCHO AND ME. By Groucho Marx. 344 pp. Published by Bernard Geis Associates. Distributed by Random House, New York. $3.95.
By ABEL GREEN. New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Sep 13, 1959. p. BR18 (1 page) :
He does revive the one about refusing membership in a Coast club on the ground that "any organization which would accept me as a member I don't want to belong to."
   Oakland Tribune Monday, May 11, 1964 Oakland, California
...P.O. Box 509, OAklAND 4. Q Where mAy I JOIN A CLUB thAt is strictly non.....BAy AreA: "Spring OperA" P.M. of GROUCHO 4-3-Sing Along With Mitch Side..

   Oakland Tribune Thursday, February 27, 1964 Oakland, California
...UPI) roucho MArx once sAid he wouldn't JOIN A CLUB thAt would iAve him As A.....Defense DollAr AND DilemmA P.M. of GROUCHO TheAter Nurses en End Reports..

   Valley Independent Thursday, February 27, 1964 Monessen, Pennsylvania
...GROUCHO MArx once sAid he wouldn't JOIN A CLUB thAt would nAve him As A.....to (A) tike in lAundry, (b) wAsh A eAr AND (c) rAke leAves. A AND B Are..