TGIF (1934-1935); Singles Bar (1968); No Justice, No Peace (1987)

Fri May 27 06:58:44 UTC 2005

On Fri, 27 May 2005 01:28:43 -0400, bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:

>TGIF
>I just re-checked, and "Thank God It's Friday" appears to have been born
>at the journalism school of the University of Missouri-Columbia, about
>1934-35. Maybe someone at the University of Missouri can check on the
>quote so Fred Shapiro can use it? Does anyone know anyone at the
>University of Missouri?
>http://www.barrypopik.com/article/927/tgi-fridays-1965-thank-god-its-friday-or-tgif-1934

Not sure if there's a connection here, but Loren D. Reid (on the speech
staff of the English department at Univ. of Missouri, 1935-39), wrote a
memoir called _Finally It's Friday!_ (Univ. of Missouri Press, 1981).

http://www.umsystem.edu/whmc/invent/3946.html
http://muarchives.missouri.edu/c-rg6-s49.html

The Univ. of Missouri yearbook (_The Savitar_) has been digitized, but the
earliest reference I can find to the TGIF club is in the 1940 yearbook:

http://digital.library.umsystem.edu/cgi/t/text/pageviewer-idx?c=savitar;cc=savitar;idno=sav1940;view=image;seq=57

--Ben Zimmer