jayhawker

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Tue Oct 4 02:49:51 UTC 2005

I wonder whether there's any connection between the "Jayhawk" of
Kansas and the "Kahok" of Illinois. These words, though spelled
differently, are exact rhymes. OED has the former only as a
back-formation from "jayhawker" and no cite at all for "Kahok." We
probably need an Americanist to tell us.

Oh, BTW, the Kahoks were the basketball team of Collinsville, IL, High
School, whose annual custom it was to kick the crap out of my high
school's BB team. FWIW, there's also a town named "Kahokia" in the
same region of Illinois.

-Wilson Gray

--
-Wilson Gray