Local pronunciations

Wed Oct 26 01:17:52 UTC 2005

Lebanon, TN is LEBB-nun.  Arab, AL is AYE-rab.  And Fayetteville, TN is FETT-vul.

Well, here in Oregon, we have Lebanon, not to be confused with the country, which is Lebanon. What's the diff, you ask? Well, the stress--the city's last syllable is pronounced exactly as the last syllable in the name of the state as pronounced by a Webfoot--Orygun (more or less), hence
 LEB uh nun (more or less).  If anyone here ever said Leb uh NON, I'd know they were some furriner--probably would say Yaki muh and probably even soda.